Moving to Raid-0 - easiest way

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kellen, Aug 25, 2009.

1. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Just wondering if there is another, easier way to do this.

Going to setup a raid using apples utitlity to get a raid 0 of two 640 blacks for my 2008 MP. I have adequate back up, including time machine and two separate back up discs that I keep information on. My macbook pro also has the same information with its own time machine back up.

So I have to wipe my original 640 so the new raid can be created I assume. Should I restore from time machine to put my info back on after creating the raid setup? Is there an easier way, one that doesn't require me copying all my information over?

I don't think there is a way to "add on" another HD for raid purposes when creating it new.

Whats the normal way of moving to a raid 0 setup and keeping information intact?

Thanks in advance.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

When you create an array, any data on the drives used will be erased during the initialization process. So restoration from backups is a necessity.

Make a backup of the data (prior to array creation), build the array, install the OS, and restore the data from the backup copy you made. :)

Rather easy, but does take a little time. Not too bad for a stripe set though. Parity based RAID (5 or 6) can take a while (intialization is slow).

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

To be consistent in your backup strategy you should make a backup independant of your Time Machine backup. You could clone the drive with disk utility from your Leopard setup disk. This way you are protected twice in case your time machine failes or something happens when you restore.

Then erase the disk and create the array. At last you clone the OS X drive back on the RAID0 array.