Moving to snow leopard from leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cemcr, Jun 15, 2010.

1. cemcr macrumors newbie

If I move from leopard to snow leopard, do I have to re-install all software again? What happens with the files in the hard drive?

2. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

If you do an upgrade install or archive and install everything will transfer and work correctly.

3. davidlv macrumors 65816

Please get your information right before you post. SL doesn't use have an "archive and install" option, that was available in Leopard. The default installation for SL, when run on a disk with a Leopard system on it, is virtually the same as an archive and install installation, but it does not make a "previous systems" folder. It simple overwrites the old system with the new system and keeps your files and information, network etc.
    I have personally found this to be problematic, and had to do a clean install (erase and install) followed by a manual reinstall of data and apps from a backup. The Intel architecture had problems with something transfered over from my G5 Leopard system by the Migration app too. Some people say it worked for them though (from 1 Intel machine to another), so you can try that. Just make sure you have any critical data backed up.

4. cemcr thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using time machine with time capsule as external hard drive... Do you have any tip to follow?