Moving to Spring from At&t?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeyondMountains, Oct 9, 2011.

1. BeyondMountains, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

I've been debating this question myself but can't decide so I'm coming to you MacRumors!

Currently have ATT with the iphone 4 since launch and they won't let me upgrade until November 22nd! That means I wouldn't get the Iphone 5 until January+ 2013? ( I think ahead)

--Sprint offers unlimited Data and unlimited mobile to mobile calling for cheaper. (no more talk and surf but im okay with that)

--I live in NJ/NY area. Can anyone tell me how the coverage is for sprint? If the data is noticeably slower than ATT 3g?

Thank you all

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Assuming there will be an iPhone 5 with major design changes.

3. diegoesk macrumors regular

i live in nyc and sprint works great. I was originally ATT but jumped ship to Vzw.

Lemme tell you one thing that alot of ppl are overlooking- Will Sprint's network be able to handle the data load?

Im on vzw and after about a month of vIphone release, Data speeds were affected immediately (especially during the day). A month or two later, VZW announced it was no longer having unlimited plans... go figure...

4. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

This is why I want to get on an unlimited plan before they are all gone.

5. jlmitnick macrumors regular

I don't get what you're saying. Your 2 year contract with AT&T actually ends in June 2012. They're offering you upgrade pricing 8 months early. If you signed up with Sprint now, not only would you have to pay AT&T a hefty ETF, but Sprint also would lock you into 2 years, and who knows if they'd even let you upgrade 8 months early like AT&T usually does?

6. diegoesk macrumors regular

unless you stream pandora/netflix over 3g, you wont go over... but it still feels good to have unlimited:D

and even if you have unlimited, they will start throttling ppl at some point. They did it to verizon without announcing it, then later on admitted it.

7. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

This is a good point. ATT's fee to break contract at this point is $175, which I think may be worth it to get unlimited Data/ unlimited mobile to mobile calling. Over a two year contract switching to Sprint will come close to giving me that $175 back.

Also, I can sell my current iPhone for roughly $350-380 to help cover that $175 cost.

Good point about not knowing if Sprint will let me upgrade in 8months. That could be trouble!

8. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Don't do it. AT&Ts iPhone 4S will be the only iPhone 4S with HSPA+/4G speeds. With Sprints and Verizon's it will always have 3G speeds, and ull realize how much u miss voice/data at the same time when it's gone.

9. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

Truth..

but 2gb SUCKS. I want unlimited so bad!

10. ps2pk macrumors newbie

Honestly sprint isn't slow. It loads web pages pretty fast. Netflix works perfectly over 3g. I've used Wimax and 3g and day to day difference isn't much. What is noticable is if you download 100mb files or use it for torrents but email/browsing/apps are pretty much the same. I'd rather have unlimited data versus having a web page load a split second faster and a 2gb limit.

The biggest factor is the coverage in your area.

11. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

You dont have to keep 2g of data if you can get ur hands on the original iphone;)

12. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

I'm doing the same, ditching AT&T for sprint. I'm paying the $175, however it is still cheaper than buying the iPhone 4s from AT&T at $450. I understand the 3g is slower, but with their LTE rollout next year and the iPhone 5 likely having it; it doesn't seem like a long term issue. Sprint plans overall are also cheaper.

13. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

HSPA+ is NOT 4G.