Moving to SSD from HDD- Can I...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beachguy, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you have a mid 2012 rMBP, then you have a retina MBP, that uses a proprietary SSD. If you have the older model, and you have a spinning disk, then yes that should work

3. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

That should work fine - you would need software to perform the cloning process, as I am guessing you are aware, and preferably one that can also clone the Recovery HD. The brand I personally use is Carbon Copy Cloner, although I tend to favor fresh OS installs over clones if the OS on the older disk is relatively old and has gone through multiple App Store-based OS X updates (as opposed to the clean install.)

4. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

My mid-2012 is not retina- that was the first year for retinas and they still had non-retina models.

ZapNZ, the unit actually has a special mode where it makes a clone of a disk without using a computer of any kind. Put in the drive, and it does a direct copy of the disk in the device itself, disconnected from any computer.

5. jerryk macrumors 68030

Another vote a fresh install. A disk change out is a good time to get rid of things you through you deleted, old files and programs you never uses, etc. Just throw the old hard drive in a $15 USB container so you have it to transfer over your data.

6. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I just rebuilt the image on the drive, so it actually is a fresh install.I'm out of re-activations on a couple of programs so I am trying to avoid reinstalling them. The current disk was always intended as a temporary fix- the original disk in it died and I used this one until I got the SSD.

I still may do it the way you mentioned, though. And I already have several empty housings for drives if I need a place to load the old one.

7. jerryk macrumors 68030

Sounds reasonable. Enjoy you speedy SSD Mac. The change to SSD was a night and day difference for me on my 2011 MBP.

8. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

My bad! - I did not realize that!
    How well does this feature work on Macs? Do you recommend it?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You still may have trouble with this. A lot of apps like that, notable MS and Adobe apps, will detect they are on different hardware and make you reregister.

10. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I'm using my Win10 laptop at the moment and the same was true on it- a 2009 HP laptop with a Core2 Quad Q900 (no speed demon even when new) but with the older, slower SSD in it (OCZ Vertex 3) it is very much still a usable machine. It's amazing how much processing power is wasted with slow storage.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2017 ---
    I'll let you know once I try it! I have the good- probably give it a shot Monday or Tuesday.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2017 ---
    Ugh. My only true concern is my two copies of Office I have (2016 and 2011.)

11. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

With Office 2011, when I had it on an old hard drive, I performed a fresh install to a new hard drive in the same computer, and activated it using the same product key without issue. I intended to activate by phone (to deactivate the former install) - but when I tried just activating with the product key, in my case I did not have an issue. I'm not sure if that is how it normally works or not, but for me it did.

I copied these files, as after reading I was under the impression I would need to restore them to the new hard drive from the old, and keep the computer naming scheme the same as in the old hard drive, but turns out I did not need them:
    /Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft/
    /Applications/Microsoft\ Office\ 2011/
    /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist
    /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper
    /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.office.licensing.plist

Not sure if that helps or not.

12. Winterfibre macrumors member

I use clonezilla, good reliable linux based distro.

13. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

All done. It turned out I was able to use DIsk Utility to clone the drive, and I am now on my SSD. I had forgotten how quick this machine can be- and it's a 2012! Plus, I'm back to 16GB RAM as well, so all is very good.

Now if my DisplayPort to HDMI to DVI cabling would just start working again...

14. jerryk macrumors 68030

Congrats on getting the machine speed back.

On the DP-> DVI, I use this adapter with my 2015 15" rMBP. Works great on both HDMI and DVI monitors and projectors, when I am on the road speaking and in the office. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UHLC24O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

15. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I have one I have used for several years. It's just a bit finicky of late- not sure which part of the chain is struggling.

I also need to figure out if I need to turn TRIM on and if so, how to do so.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2017 ---
    I should have looked first- that adaptor rocks! Can I drive multiple external monitors with it?

16. jerryk macrumors 68030

I never tried running multiple monitors with a single adapter. I have two of them and run separate monitors with each adapter all the time.