Moving to the US with an unlocked iPhone4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by almonde, Sep 16, 2011.

1. almonde macrumors regular

I've lived in several European countries over the past couple of years and have therefore always bought factory unlocked iPhones (or had then unlocked by the carrier) so i can use local sims. I tend to to take Post-paid contracts on rolling 30 day contracts.

In early November i am moving to the States (Houston, Tx) to live and will have my iPhone 4 (or maybe factory unlocked 5 by then ;) )

What options do i have for a carrier in the states? I won't buy a CDMA device as i travel too much to Europe to make that make sense. Basically to preserve 3G with my iphone i have to go with AT&T, right?

Do they have any sort of contract for people who want a data plan but don't want a handset subsidy and 2 year contract?

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Since you said you're moving to Houston, I recommend AT&T because they really seem to love the state of Texas when deploying their new networks, ex: 4G.

3. almonde thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Troop, seems like AT&T is the likely option. What options for a data plan do i have with them, without taking a 12 or 24 contract? The pre-paid system seems quite different in the states compared with the UK and western Europe and a 30-day rolling contract doesn't seem to exist (from what i could see on the AT&T website)

4. wvphysics macrumors regular

There is no difference in plan prices for contract or non-contract. Contracts are to recoup the costs of subsidizing the cost of a phone. If you already have a phone there will be no reason to get a contract, you will pay the same plan prices.

5. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

You can choose between prepaid and post paid plans. Post paid plans are the same as contract plans, but you will only be obligated to a contract if you get a subsidized phone.

Since your bringing in your iPhone, you are signing a contract.

Look at atts website to see if prepaid or postpaid plans are better for you. For unlimited talk and text, there prepaid is killer since its only $50. It includes data for basic phones, but there's an additional coat for smartphones. But since your using a foreign iPhone, I'm not sure if they can tell

6. profets macrumors 68040

Am I reading this correctly.. If you bring your own phone, you have to sign a contract?

7. almonde thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh, that seems pretty good then. So i can walk into an At&t store and get a normal post-paid plan without a 24 month commitment. Perfect.

Also the $50 unlimited plan seems good if i can slyly get some data tagged on :D

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

This. You'd just pay month to month since you already have a device. No need to sign a contract.

9. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Nope. If you already have the device and just buying a plan, you'll be contract free. You're binded to the contract if you buy any hardware from the carrier.

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Technically you're binded to the contract - in the sense that you agree to AT&T's terms when you sign up with their service.

There is however no minimum commitment (or if there is it's a rolling 30 days).

11. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

nope should be "aren't". I was typing on my iPad and missed a few characters lol

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Be very careful. I've heard from people in this forum that did the same thing and when they went to get a new phone AT&T told them that 1) they WERE on a contract (even though they brought their own phone) and 2) they wouldn't give them a subsidy on a new phone, even though they had never received a subsidy to begin with.

So I'm basically saying verify everything. Get it in writing if you can. They have a standard way of doing things and going outside of that standard seems to have a potential for issues.

Oh, and welcome to Texas (aka hell in summer 2011). :D

13. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

+ 1. Make sure you read each and every word before you sign because the sly mofo's at the AT&T store will tell you that it's all standard BS and sign you up for a contract without informing you so they can get their commission.

Also, after you get your AT&T service up and running, register on their website and check to see if the sales rep put you on a contract. You can also confirm by calling customer care. If the store rep did, you should be able to get out of it be explaining to customer care that you brought your own phone and if it is within 30 days and you were put on a contract, you can still cancel and get out by just paying the usage charges.

I live in the greater Houston area and AT&T certainly does have pretty good coverage in the area. So, welcome to Houston and 8 months of scorching heat!

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

He's exaggerating. It's more like 90 days. :p