Moving to the USA, best wireless plan??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Davewilks, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Davewilks macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm probably moving to central Florida in the next few month from the UK.
    I have an iPhone 4 and my Wife has my old 3GS, she currently uses pay as you go with the cellular data turned off on the phone and I have a £35 per month 600mins unlimited data o2 plan.

Both phones are legitimately unlocked.

Anyone know what the best tariffs / carriers are and what my options will be?

I was also wondering if it would be best to sell the unlocked 3GS once we get to the states and get her a 4 as (I believe) officially unlocked iPhones are hard to come by in the US and it might be worth enough that we'd get enough money to get her a locked 4.

Just looking for advise so any would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

Dave

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 601

Check att.com for the plans. They are your only choice if you want to use 3G. Tmobile is edge only.

There is no prepaid option, and they require data on all smart phones.

Someone somewhere will have to help you out on the credit thing. They will run a credit check on you, so no clue how that works for new to the country folks (I only thought of it because of the issues my friend had when she moved back to Canada).

I'm out of input, so I'll just say, "Welcome to Central Florida!!!!" :D

3. Davewilks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Looks like ATT might be the only option then.

Dave

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Since you are unlocked you can p/u one of these SIMs at BestBuy. Only caveats - I don't know if they are data capable & for an iP4 you'd have to cut it down to size of course.

5. Stankonia macrumors regular

Just be warned that US carriers are ridiculous in that you are usually required to sign 2 year contracts and pay a ton of money for text messaging.

6. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

You have one choice at&t. Thats it no questions asked. I have an aquaintance who attempted to use a modded sim on his last week for tmobile....no go.