Moving to UK, need advises on carriers/plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dias, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Dias macrumors 6502

Hi everybody

This September I'm moving to UK (Coventry) for study purpose and I'd be very grateful if you some local users could give me few advises about UK carriers and mobile broadband plans.

I'm currently living in Italy and I have (legally) unlocked iPhone 3GS on Vodafone network.

For example, in Italy as a Vodafone user I pay 12€ a month for 2GB internet data. Always in Italy, 3 will be charging 5€ a month for 3GB internet traffic after 1/1/2010 (until then it's free for new users).

How is the situation in UK for P&G users? Which carriers would you consider the most reliable and, possibly, cheaper? :)

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Try going with either Orange or Vodaphone PAYG, or even go with O2.

3. Dias thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you.

Do you have any idea how much mobile broadband 3G costs on their networks? Their websites are very confusing. :eek:

4. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

Well I don't live in Coventry and I'm already on an O2 monthly contract however I would suggest using Pay and Go on the 3 UK Network (which I will later do in March 2010) as coverage is best, however the maximum amount of monthly data you can purchase is 1GB + 150mb for topping up which may put you off, however it is only £5 a month.

O2's £10 a month for free wifi and unlimited internet on PayG might suit you better however as unlimited data, is "Unlimited" as O2 said themselves for iPhone customers, make sure you use the iPhone O2 sim however.

5. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

You could perhaps use your iPhone as dongle? But you'd have to be on O2 to do it officially. In my opinion their rates are extortionate :p

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/internet.html

6. Dias thread starter macrumors 6502

Wait, "O2's £10 a month for free wifi and unlimited internet on PayG" sounds pretty interesting. :cool:
    I do realize that unlimited is never really unlimited, but I'd be happy with 2-3Gb a month.

Can you please provide with more details about this plan? As a resident of Italy I can't access O2's Store. :\

7. Dias thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you but:

Thanks for visiting the O2 Online Shop

Unfortunately, we are unable to sell to countries outside the UK.

:\

8. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

I see, I too was skeptical yet it is "unlimited", for iPhone, so O2 say that is. Yet their site reads differently, as quoted.

QUOTE O2's site :

If you're using an iPhone with a Pay & Go SIM card, you can add the O2 Web & Wi-Fi Bolt On for just £10 a month for unlimited internet and Wi-Fi access*. Then you can surf to your hearts content.

To set up O2 Web & Wi-Fi call 2425 free of charge from your Pay & Go mobile phone. Or, text www to 21300 free of charge.

*Data usage whilst roaming not included. Unlimited Wi-Fi is available at any of the 7,500 Wi-Fi hotspots from our partners The Cloud and BT Openzone. Excessive usage policy and full terms and conditions apply.

9. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

Also sorry about the tethering plan, I misread. And it turns out you can only use iPhone tethering on a Pay Monthly O2 plan.