Moving to UK with US bought iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kurian, Aug 5, 2010.

1. kurian macrumors newbie

Hi there,

It is the summer following my senior year and I just got AP exam results back which mean I can go to university in the UK instead of in the US. I did not expect these results and therefore prior to getting them bought a 32GB iPhone 4 with a 2 year contract.

If I pay the $350 (or whatever it is) to cancel the contract, jail break and unlock the phone, move to England and choose a carrier (they all sell the iPhones unlocked there) would that work?

2. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Yeah, you can get pay as you go as you probably dont have much british credit rating. As long as it's unlocked, the iPhone will work with any of our carriers.

3. kurian thread starter macrumors newbie

4. calb macrumors 6502

As long as it's not a bad credit rating, he shouldn't have an issue. I'm a university student in the UK and had a contract taken out in a bank account that I had open for only a short while. There weren't any issues with credit rating.

My university also has a high number of international students, and I can assure you none of them (at least the ones I know personally) have had issues arranging contracts.
    Yes.

5. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Well done on your results,

What is probably best for you at this stage is to either:

1) Sell your iPhone 4 in the US for as much as you can

2) Probably better, Jailbreak and Unlock it - And Get a UK Sim-Only Plan

(http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simplicity/iphone/1_month), There are other carriers who offer the Sim-Only plans as well for the iPhone 4. But a guide to get you started.

As you have a phone already, a Sim-Only plan would probably be the best.