Moving to US with UK unlocked Iphone 4 - help pls!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doolababu, Feb 8, 2011.

1. doolababu macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am moving to the US (NY) for a 1 to 2 years next week. I have a UK O2 Iphone 4 on contract (with 12 months left) and have unlocked this to all networks through O2 (legally).

My question is this.....can I just get an AT&T sim with voice and data plan and use it in my UK Iphone? I don't really want to be locked into AT&Ts 2 year plan but assume I won't have to be because I'm not buying a phone?

Alternatively I was told I could get a T-Mobile sim and voice/data plan with no contract. Does T-Mobile sell micro-sims? I tried to cut my vodafone sim to micro-sim size yesterday but my Iphone didn't read it :confused:

What would y'all recommend I do?

Thanks

2. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Yes, you can get an AT&T SIM without a contract and go month to month with a voice plan and $15.00 min. data plan. However, I must say that some AT&T store clerks are quite sneaky and would tack a contract to your account without informing you. You need to be quite careful when you get the SIM card and set up your account. Within a couple of days after you set up your account, I'd suggest you log on to your account on the internet or call AT&T customer care to verify that you are not on a contract and if you are, you could cancel your account within 30 days without the ETF.

You could also go the T-mobile route but T-mobile uses a different 3G frequency that the iPhone 4 is not compatible with. So you will get voice and EDGE data but no 3G which might suck.