Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Not Chicago (but you may be talking strictly Canada). You can get a nice house in the city for less than that. A friend of mine just got a 3 bedroom house just west of us for $200,000.

Half a mil for a place in the 'burbs? Wow.

There was that little real estate thing downturn in the US that recently occurred, something about sub-prime mortgages.....

Canada didn't have that happen, so our real estate prices stayed - relatively stable.

US real estate is bargain right now - if you are buying. US real estate is a disaster if you own, and need the equity in your home. It all depends on which side of the "for sale" you are on.

Since Canadians was spared the worst of the recession, they are on a buying spree - snapping up properties south of the border. Wait for the winter when all the snowbirds head south with cash.

Which doesn't help answer the original OP.... but Vancouver is also consistently ranked one of the best places to live in world, so there is a huge demand for real estate in the city - so prices are high.

Chicago is, um - more affordable.... :D

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
There was that little real estate thing downturn in the US that recently occurred, something about sub-prime mortgages.....

Canada didn't have that happen, so our real estate prices stayed - relatively stable.

US real estate is bargain right now - if you are buying. US real estate is a disaster if you own, and need the equity in your home. It all depends on which side of the "for sale" you are on.

Since Canadians was spared the worst of the recession, they are on a buying spree - snapping up properties south of the border. Wait for the winter when all the snowbirds head south with cash.

Which doesn't help answer the original OP.... but Vancouver is also consistently ranked one of the best places to live in world, so there is a huge demand for real estate in the city - so prices are high.

Chicago is, um - more affordable.... :D

Chicago is an awesome city, though. We're on that list too. I can tell you haven't been. ;)

And to be fair, our prices were never that high, not even at the height of the boom.

And I've been to Canada, and do like it. Enough that I would like to retire there. But if it's that expensive, I may not be able. :(

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Chicago is an awesome city, though. We're on that list too. I can tell you haven't been. ;)

And to be fair, our prices were never that high, not even at the height of the boom.

And I've been to Canada, and do like it. Enough that I would like to retire there. But if it's that expensive, I may not be able. :(

Hello leekohler..... I was just teasing you a bit. I've only been to Chicago once, we drove through and stopped to eat at.... oh, boy.... ? Ed de brevnik's ??? something like that. It was a long time ago. Chicago is actually a place I'd like to visit some time - I grew up in southern Ontario, and never quite got there though.

Like any country, there are expensive places in Canada, and affordable places. For the price of a penthouse condo in Vancouver or Toronto you can buy a town in Saskatchewan. If you don't need to live in a major city there are very affordable areas.

If you are thinking of retiring to Canada start practising your French. New immigrants need to either bring a needed job skill, investment money, etc. Its a point system - you get x# of points for education, y# for job skills, etc etc. More points are awarded to younger people than older (if you are thinking of retiring, then you are handicapped by age and job). However you get a bag of points for being bilingual in english and french - so, start practising.... :)

Or, you can just come to one of the gulf islands and live in the bush... it's not as solitary as you might think - you'd not be the first to think of it.

Or you can come in as an investor, if you have the $$.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Hello leekohler..... I was just teasing you a bit. I've only been to Chicago once, we drove through and stopped to eat at.... oh, boy.... ? Ed de brevnik's ??? something like that. It was a long time ago. Chicago is actually a place I'd like to visit some time - I grew up in southern Ontario, and never quite got there though.

Like any country, there are expensive places in Canada, and affordable places. For the price of a penthouse condo in Vancouver or Toronto you can buy a town in Saskatchewan. If you don't need to live in a major city there are very affordable areas.

If you are thinking of retiring to Canada start practising your French. New immigrants need to either bring a needed job skill, investment money, etc. Its a point system - you get x# of points for education, y# for job skills, etc etc. More points are awarded to younger people than older (if you are thinking of retiring, then you are handicapped by age and job). However you get a bag of points for being bilingual in english and french - so, start practising.... :)

Or, you can just come to one of the gulf islands and live in the bush... it's not as solitary as you might think - you'd not be the first to think of it.

Or you can come in as an investor, if you have the $$.

I have had five years of French, so that wouldn't be too difficult. As far as money- I ain't rich, so I guess retirement in Canada is probably out of the question. Oh well.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
I too have been thinking about moving to Vancouver.

The whole snowboarding year round sounds enticing to me especially coming from Florida. :(

Looking for a spot with access to public transportation, loads of good cheap restaurants near by, and near the slopes. Any suggestions?

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I too have been thinking about moving to Vancouver.

The whole snowboarding year round sounds enticing to me especially coming from Florida. :(

Looking for a spot with access to public transportation, loads of good cheap restaurants near by, and near the slopes. Any suggestions?

The west coast is the best for snowboarding by far. I think the east has some hills but there is big difference between a hill and mountain.

Anywhere in the GVRD (Greater Vancouver Regional District) you will be within driving distance to tons of local mountains including Grouse (the closest I think), Cypress, and Seymour which are all under 2 hour drive making them perfect for a day visit.

Mountains that I'd consider more 'weekend resorts' (Ie. take a few hours to drive to) would be Whistler (of course), Manning, Apex, Big White, Silver Star and a few more I can't remember.

I don't snowboard frequently, so someone with more experience can probably tell you the exact distances.

Vancouver is expensive to buy a house, yes, but it's not impossible to live in. My sisters are both living right downtown in excellent locations with inexpensive rent. It's possible to live downtown earning less than twice minimum wage, which is not difficult to do here.

br.avery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
sure white rock is drier but it is also a hour long commute to get there.

best area in terms of what you pay to what you get in convenience and walking distance to everything is the Broadway/Main st area (aka SoMa)
Commercial used to be nice student area but is now very yuppified.
Avoid Kitsilano and UBC endowment lands , rent is 30-40% higher than other student areas
UBC residences are best to be avoided. loud , old and overpriced. also you may NOT be able to live there with you BF unless are common law.

What's common law? Marriage?

br.avery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Hey!

I'm a U.S. student going to a professional school in Victoria.

I've been to Vancouver and people are definitely right about the cost of living. Even typical things like getting food at the store can cost much more than in the U.S. But, as long as you shop around a bit, and don't eat out...it's not that horrible. Probably, you will need to live with roommates unless you are wealthy. Rent, when living with others, isn't so far off the base of what you'd pay in the States.

The theft from cars, and petty theft, etc. is very very true. Just take a look at what's going on at West Hastings to get an idea. I think, if I remember, that there is more prostitution & I.V. drug use per capita there than -anywhere- in North America! However, it's a city that I sure feel really safe in despite that.

As far as the student visa process goes...here is the only site you will need to visit:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.asp

this is the link you will need to "download your application packet (at bottom of the page)"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how.asp

It can seem overwhelming. But it's fairly straightforward.

a) you need a couple of photos that aren't standard passport size. Good luck with that, I actually ended up having to trim passport photos to size.
b) you need a passport which expires ---after--- your term of study will expire
c) you need a letter of acceptance from your school
d) you need proof of funds. At least $10,000 --more-- than your cost of education per year. This is done through bank accounts, a letter from the school stating you have been granted student aid, credit cards, or proof of income from your parents...bank accounts, etc.
e) you need to fill out the application form carefully, it's only 2 pages but there is a bit to it
f) You only need a --student visa-- which is $125. I recommend sending it to the Seattle CIC office (link on the website I gave you a link to) because they process student visa applications faster than the other locations.

and, of course, you need to apply in plenty of time before you want to go to Vancouver. It can take around 30 days to get your application back in the mail. Heaven forfend there isn't a problem with it, because that can cause even more delay.

Also, be aware that when you get to the border, this is where you have to apply AGAIN for entry into the country! The Border agents will need to check your paperwork, etc. and they are the ones who will actually approve you moving there.

by the way, I strongly suggest that you bring whatever expensive goods you want with you into the country. The cost of consumer goods is way higher in Canada than the U.S. and shipping to Canada is quite a bit. Oh yeah, of course, if you have things mailed up...have them sent by your parents & marked as gifts with a low value to avoid import duty at the customs.

Even simple things like mattresses (unless you are going on craig's list) cost so much more. So, an option might be a one way u-haul..however, even from a bordering state that can be something like $500 one way + mileage. Car rentals tend to be about $220/day with tax & insurance per day but have the advantage of unlimited miles.

Good luck with your move!

Thank you so much for all that info!!

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
What's common law? Marriage?

Generally speaking, if you have "co-habitated" (lived with someone exclusively and in, an ummm...... romantic..... way.... ) for a certain length of time then you are considered to be "common-law" - which in BC is not quite the same as legally married, though darn close. However, BC is changing the legislation so that I believe "common-law" will become the same as legally married. But I've not paid much attention to the details of the announcement.

If you are considering declaring yourself "common-law" with your boyfriend, get some legal advice - particularly if the new legislation comes into place. At that point Married is Married, and if you too then decide to break-up you might actually have to get divorced. But I don't know that, nor how it is affected if you move back to the States, etc etc.... so get some legal advice before declaring "common-law".

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Anywhere in the GVRD (Greater Vancouver Regional District) you will be within driving distance to tons of local mountains including Grouse (the closest I think), Cypress, and Seymour which are all under 2 hour drive making them perfect for a day visit.

Mountains that I'd consider more 'weekend resorts' (Ie. take a few hours to drive to) would be Whistler (of course), Manning, Apex, Big White, Silver Star and a few more I can't remember.

yes Grouse is closest - its the one that you see the most from the city.
its about 26 minutes by public transport to the base of the mountain from downtown, then you take the gondola up to the skiing area - the gondola fee includes all ski lifts for that day too

seymour and cypress are about 45min-hour by buses - a lot less by car
but cars are pricey to keep in Vancouver , the insurance, gas and parking fees will take a big dent out of wallet.

All the major sky resorts and tourist destinations have seasonal bus service going to them , in the Winter whistler has a SkiBus going multiple times per day and its $35 round trip , leave in morning, ski all day , get home at night.

for wages, a lots of jobs underpay for what they ask for skills and experience
there are alot of jobs just above min wage that are easy to get , but once you get to $15+ per hour it gets tougher to find one. depending on your field.
for Students the best bet is to work ON campus under the work study program , which is allowed even for Student Visa holders , and those START at 16.75$ per hour for most positions at UBC ,

My most recent job actually started as a work study position that they turned into a real position and near the end I was making $35+ per hour after 2 years. my current job is a salary one.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Generally speaking, if you have "co-habitated" (lived with someone exclusively and in, an ummm...... romantic..... way.... ) for a certain length of time then you are considered to be "common-law" - which in BC is not quite the same as legally married, though darn close. However, BC is changing the legislation so that I believe "common-law" will become the same as legally married. But I've not paid much attention to the details of the announcement.

If you are considering declaring yourself "common-law" with your boyfriend, get some legal advice - particularly if the new legislation comes into place. At that point Married is Married, and if you too then decide to break-up you might actually have to get divorced. But I don't know that, nor how it is affected if you move back to the States, etc etc.... so get some legal advice before declaring "common-law".

it also affects your taxes and loans , also some student awards like scholarships and bursaries.
in BC its usually 18 months living together = common law

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
Thanks for the info. In terms of jobs I will probably get one in the U.S and telecommute or freelance. As for living expenses I am all by my lonesome and I have no problem with small spaces. I know it's expensive but all major cities are expensive can't live in a rural area for ever.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Thanks for the info. In terms of jobs I will probably get one in the U.S and telecommute or freelance. As for living expenses I am all by my lonesome and I have no problem with small spaces. I know it's expensive but all major cities are expensive can't live in a rural area for ever.

pretty much every Vancouver area apt is a small space :p
most likely you will have to share with someone
other wise budget at least 850$ for a semi decent place in the sketchier areas
plus all the utilities

the worst time to move is aug sept due to the influx of students

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007

Please get some legal advice first. I don't know what the visa issues are nor the income tax issues for this. It has been quite awhile now since Canada just accepted anyone who showed up at the border. Sorry, eh?

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
Please get some legal advice first. I don't know what the visa issues are nor the income tax issues for this. It has been quite awhile now since Canada just accepted anyone who showed up at the border. Sorry, eh?

I'm not planning on hopping on a plane and going tonight.

pretty much every Vancouver area apt is a small space :p
most likely you will have to share with someone
other wise budget at least 850$ for a semi decent place in the sketchier areas
plus all the utilities

the worst time to move is aug sept due to the influx of students

Share with someone? :eek: I hope not.

I can't say now what my price range will be since I am still in school (graduate in March) . Hopefully I will figure out everything by then I still have time.

One problem I may run into is the issue of credit. I don't have any and in the U.S it has been difficult to find a place to live. Is it like this in Canada?

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
My sisters apartment is $850 and it's literally 200 steps from Robson St. The apartment is small BUT the location is excellent. Literally at the heart of downtown.

I don't think you'll want to life right downtown though. Kinda of far from UBC (unless you go to the Robson campus)

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
I'm not planning on hopping on a plane and going tonight.
I didn't think you were - otherwise I would have advised you to only book a one way fare to save money .... You'd be turned back at the border and the airline would have had to pick up your return fare. No point turning down a free plane ride, eh? :)

One problem I may run into is the issue of credit. I don't have any and in the U.S it has been difficult to find a place to live. Is it like this in Canada?

I am assuming you are a US citizen, or at least not a Canadian one.... if I'm wrong please ignore what I am about to say.

Canadians are a nice, friendly, polite bunch. But we are a foreign country. Really. To move to Canada, even for short time, requires going through a whole involved process. We Canadians love paperwork and forms. Almost as much as hockey and beer.

To visit Canada has fewer requirements - one of which is you must be able to show, if requested, that you have the intention and the ability to leave the country. So, a return ticket, an acceptance by an employer in your home country, the funds - in hand - to support yourself while visiting, a lease agreement showing that you have a home in your home country, etc etc I believe the maximum stay on a tourist visa is 6 months. I don't know if Americans need a passport to get into Canada, but you will need a passport to get back into the US.

If you don't have credit in the States, then as a visitor you are not going to be able to get any in Canada. Vancouver has a very tight rental market, so a landlord is probably going to prefer someone who has local work references that can be checked, vs a visitor who is paying with cash. But like any city, if you have cash and want to pay a "no questions asked" premium - I'm sure you could find a place.

We'd love to have you come and visit.... we just hate it when someone appears at the border and is refused entry. We get all embarrassed and apologize, and offer them a Timmy's to take back with them.... so please don't embarrass the border people...

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
I didn't think you were - otherwise I would have advised you to only book a one way fare to save money .... You'd be turned back at the border and the airline would have had to pick up your return fare. No point turning down a free plane ride, eh? :)

I am assuming you are a US citizen, or at least not a Canadian one.... if I'm wrong please ignore what I am about to say.

Canadians are a nice, friendly, polite bunch. But we are a foreign country. Really. To move to Canada, even for short time, requires going through a whole involved process. We Canadians love paperwork and forms. Almost as much as hockey and beer.

To visit Canada has fewer requirements - one of which is you must be able to show, if requested, that you have the intention and the ability to leave the country. So, a return ticket, an acceptance by an employer in your home country, the funds - in hand - to support yourself while visiting, a lease agreement showing that you have a home in your home country, etc etc I believe the maximum stay on a tourist visa is 6 months. I don't know if Americans need a passport to get into Canada, but you will need a passport to get back into the US.

If you don't have credit in the States, then as a visitor you are not going to be able to get any in Canada. Vancouver has a very tight rental market, so a landlord is probably going to prefer someone who has local work references that can be checked, vs a visitor who is paying with cash. But like any city, if you have cash and want to pay a "no questions asked" premium - I'm sure you could find a place.

We'd love to have you come and visit.... we just hate it when someone appears at the border and is refused entry. We get all embarrassed and apologize, and offer them a Timmy's to take back with them.... so please don't embarrass the border people...

Yes, I am well aware Canada is a country.

I also understand that I cannot pack my things and show up. That is not my intention and I know there is a process I need to go through. It is not a clear cut deal that I am moving there and I have almost a year to figure things out I am still in school. Vancouver is one places on my list and I just want to know a little bit more about the area and how things are done to narrow down my plans.

So, you mentioned local work references. Hypothetically I have gone through all the formalities with immigration and I am working in the area. With my work references would that then mean I would have no issue renting?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Yes, I am well aware Canada is a country.

I also understand that I cannot pack my things and show up. That is not my intention and I know there is a process I need to go through. It is not a clear cut deal that I am moving there and I have almost a year to figure things out I am still in school. Vancouver is one places on my list and I just want to know a little bit more about the area and how things are done to narrow down my plans.

So, you mentioned local work references. Hypothetically I have gone through all the formalities with immigration and I am working in the area. With my work references would that then mean I would have no issue renting or even buying a place without credit?

Sorry if I came out a bit snotty.... sometimes people do show up expecting to be admitted as if it is their right - and then bad mouth us when we, politely, decline.

I think, though I haven't rented in a long time, that if you are working then you should be able to find a place to rent, though of course you may find it bit more difficult. If you know someone who lives here who can vouch for you that would help.

As for purchasing a house... Canada avoided the worst of the recession, and had no sub-prime mortgage problem because the lenders are way way way more conservative than their US counterparts. I might suggest a preliminary visit to the city, and book an appointment with a lending officer in bank. Actually, I would pick a bank and a credit union as they can very different outlooks on customer service.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do. I really enjoy Vancouver.... the city gets a lot of things right.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
Sorry if I came out a bit snotty.... sometimes people do show up expecting to be admitted as if it is their right - and then bad mouth us when we, politely, decline.

I think, though I haven't rented in a long time, that if you are working then you should be able to find a place to rent, though of course you may find it bit more difficult. If you know someone who lives here who can vouch for you that would help.

As for purchasing a house... Canada avoided the worst of the recession, and had no sub-prime mortgage problem because the lenders are way way way more conservative than their US counterparts. I might suggest a preliminary visit to the city, and book an appointment with a lending officer in bank. Actually, I would pick a bank and a credit union as they can very different outlooks on customer service.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do. I really enjoy Vancouver.... the city gets a lot of things right.

Thanks for the info! I really do like Vancouver for the public transportation, scenery, and all of the outdoor activities. It would be a no brainer for me except it lacks the tech scene San Fran has which is also on my list but then I would be 3 hours from the slopes as opposed to minutes like in Vancouver. :(

Hopefully everything works out . And sorry for hijacking your thread br.avery

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Thanks for the info! I really do like Vancouver for the public transportation, scenery, and all of the outdoor activities. It would be a no brainer for me except it lacks the tech scene San Fran has which is also on my list but then I would be 3 hours from the slopes as opposed to minutes like in Vancouver. :(

Hopefully everything works out . And sorry for hijacking your thread br.avery

Vancouver may not have the tech scene like SF, but it's no slouch either. IBM has a centre, I believe MS does, and Electronic Arts has big place. Um, Macdonald Detwillier (spelling?? but they are in the space business, so satellites, the robotic arm on the space shuttle, GIS mapping, etc etc), Telus communications (phone, cell phone, etc), etc etc. ICBC - the crown corporation that handles *all* mandatory car insurance in the province is hugely networked, and in North Vancouver. Every little town and village with has an ICBC agent, with systems that tie into HQ. more etc etc

Burnaby and Richmond are two suburbs that house the majority of the tech stuff, IIRC... so if you see those municipal names you are still in Metro Vancouver. Actually, google metro vancouver to get the 22 municipalities that make up metro Vancouver, so when you see a tech address you will know where it is.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Also Pixar just opened their first Canadian studio here. Nicknamed "Hollywood North", Vancouver is becoming pretty big for films. And yeah, EA Sport's main headquarters is here too. I remember some of the kids from my 3D animation classes ended up working on Need for Speed.

But San Fran is, as you said, definitely best place for startup web companies for sure.

onne2slick

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
I live in Vancouver, and have for over 16 years.
Public transportation is extremely affordable here in Vancouver, and is noted one of the best. The CEO of the public transportation system in Vancouver is highly recognized and was sent to NYC earlier this year to improve NYC's transportation system.

You should make a note, BC now has the HST tax as of July 1st, which is 12%.
I believe 5% more than previous taxes. It is a beautiful city, but land is becoming more expensive by the minute.

However, the cost of goods can be compared equally to the United States, IF! you shop for deals WELL. There are NUMEROUS of options in Canada, from groceries, to furniture, to electronics, to cell phone carriers, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.