moving to VICTORIA BC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by orangejuice999, Aug 9, 2008.

1. orangejuice999 macrumors newbie

Hi there

I googled 'best places to live in victoria' and for some reason it brought me to the mac board so i thought i'd give it a shot :p

I will be relocating to Victoria bc and I am having so much trouble finding a place!

I will have to rent the place unseen and so I thought i'd see if anyone had any good advice for me

I'm mainly looking for the best places to look for apartment listings

and

The best and safest streets in victoria to live in

Any other info you could give would be appreciated also

Thanks so much!

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Send a PM to CanadaRAM, and ask him to join this thread.

He lives there, and runs a successful business too.

3. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Welcome to Victoria! It's an awesome place to live :D

Unfortunately, it is going to be difficult finding a place right now because a lot of university students are moving back to the city and our vacancy rate is really low (last I heard it was 0.3%). Victoria is a pretty safe city and most areas are fine. The only area that I think can be a bit sketchy is around Esquilmalt area. But even then, it's not that bad and it really depends on which part of the area.

The areas that I personally like best are: Fairfield, Oak Bay and Saanich East since they're all in very nice neighborhoods, walking distance to the beach and not too far from downtown. I also like some areas around the George waterway as well.

Here are some websites for rental listings:
    - http://www.househunting.ca/
    - http://www.rentbc.com/victoria_apartments.html
    - http://housing.uvic.ca/offcampus/ (university listings - mainly basement suites)
    - http://victoria.en.craigslist.ca/hhh/

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The Victoria Times Colonist newspaper has an article today on the challenges of student rentals. Their classified ads are online. The Gordon Head and Lansdowne neighborhoods are closest to the University. Like Adroit says, the Gorge area is nice and not as expensive as some others. Vic West is near downtown and can be cheap. This map is clickable and will give you some idea of the neighborhood names that are advertised

Budget rental housing is difficult to find - the more money you can spend, the easier it becomes.

There is adequate public transit to the University from most core municipalities, check the transit maps at bctransit.com

The Greater Victoria area is made up of something like 13 different municipalities. Victoria City, Esquimalt, Saanich and Oak Bay are considered the core municipalities. Langford, Colwood and Metchosin are called the "Western Communities" and there is a significant traffic bottleneck between there and Victoria City (called the Colwood Crawl for it's breathtaking lack of speed in rush hours). View Royal sits between the core and the Western Communities and gets caught in the same traffic. The municipalities on the Saanich Peninsula - North Saanich, Sidney, Central Saanich have a lot of acreages and upper scale housing and are less convenient with transit - so although there may be some affordable apartments in Sidney, it means a car or a long bus commute.

I don't know as there are any streets that are more 'dangerous' than others - most trouble is downtown when the bars close and the drunken idjits hit the street. There's a fairly high homeless and transient population, and where we live (in James Bay, easy walking distance from downtown) we get a fair but of incidental burglary and car window smash & grabs.

If you are renting sight unseen, its best to deal with a property management company or to ask for photos and references - there have been scams with people advertising apartments and taking deposits by mail - when they don't actually own the place. If it is an apartment in a building, find out who the management company is and verify. If you are unfamiliar with the BC renters laws, they are here. Apart from a refundable 1/2 month security deposit, IIRC asking for "key" money (a non refundable 'bribe' demanded by the landlord to agree to rent) is not legal here.

Obligatory Mac content: There's a strong Mac community in town, and although there are no Apple Stores, there are several independent Apple dealers and service providers.

5. orangejuice999 thread starter macrumors newbie

asdfad

wow thanks so much

this is all extremely helpful

i actually am a university student and i'm finding out that it's near impossible!!

somewhere in oak bay would be great or anywhere near the university i suppose

6. Anna100 macrumors newbie

Also moving to Victoria BC

Hi there,

We are also moving to Victoria (from London) in Jan 2009 for about 6 to 9 months and looking for a good area to live in.

We have 3 children under 5, so would like to be in walking distance of parks, leisure centre, good school and shops. (Oh ... and maybe hospital with ER dept - my son is a bit accident prone.)

Any thoughts! And also any views on transportation? How common is it to not own a car in Victoria? We have a car in London but only use it about once a week, prefer the bus, cycle, tube and walking - but everything is nearby here.

:eek:

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...Anna, in *most* areas of Victoria you can get around quite easily without a car. I've lived here without one for 18 years now. There are lots of bike lanes on the roads and pretty decent transit service. Many neighbourhoods are quite close to decent shopping and schools, so if you've a decent budget for housing you'll probably find something that enables you to ditch the car requirement....oh yeah!

8. Anna100 macrumors newbie

Thanks Duff-Man. Getting good vibes about coming to BC. Have been browsing sites for houses and things to do, the scenic views look amazing.

And there will new bikes all round I think!

:D

9. lazeebass macrumors newbie

lazeebass

Me and my wife and 2 year old son are moving to victoria aswell:) and thanks to adroit for the tips on the areas. I will be check out houses in those areas.

Me and my wife are moving to vitoria as well. we are moving from calgary so the mild winter is going to such a nice change. Thanks to adroit for the tips on areas, we need that we have been looking and just cant decide if we want a place in the country with killers views or a place close to downtown so we pub crawl. I guess we just have to just come and visit.:)

10. Anna100 macrumors newbie

Am now living in Victoria

Hi Lazeebass,

Tricky decision, views or social life. Have a look into whether you'll be near (i.e. walking distance) from a pre-school for your little one. They can start when they are 3, and there are some excellen parent participation preschools in Victoria. Anyway whatever you choose, there are excellent views from downtown too.

Anna

11. amandac858 macrumors newbie

Moving to Victoria BC

Hi everyone i am new here, i stummbled accross this while searching google for the best area to stay in Victoria. My husband has been offered a job in the Naval base in Victoria bc so we are currently considering moving. I am looking for as much help as possible or info that anyone can provide me with, i have two kids age 17and 21 yrs so they would be coming with us. Can anyone tell me what areas are best for housing and also about visas and stuff? :eek:

Regards Amanda

12. samiwas macrumors 65816

Check out http://www.city-data.com/forum/canada/.

I'm on City Data for my hometown, and it's a great forum. They don't have a forum specifically for Victoria, but you can ask about it in the general Canada forum. I saw a thread or two about Victoria in there.

13. Geoff McLean macrumors newbie

Living in Victoria

Check out my blog http://www.livinginvictoriabc.com/ for a ton of information about the city.

It's a resource for people who are moving to Victoria and want to learn all about what the Greater Victoria area has to offer.

Hope you find it helpful!

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Nice. :D

Self-serving yes, but extremely low-key. :cool:

15. amandac858 macrumors newbie

Mobile phones

Hi Everyone

I was wondering what mobile phone companies operate in canada ?, i currently have a contract apple IPhone in the uk and was wondering if i moved to victoria if i would be able to use it with a sim card from one of the local companies. I also wonder how easy it would be to get a contract phone in canada?

16. victorianewbies macrumors newbie

cells etc.

We have Bell, Rogers & Telus mostly, Fido, etc.

If you are moving to Victoria you should check out The Victoria Newbies Ladies Group! victorianewbies.com! :)

----------

Also, Geoff, I'd be interested in speaking with you in regards to your website - seems to be a great resource (and the type of thing my group, The Victoria Newbies Ladies Group) would be interested in!