Moving to Windows 7 - moving backups?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by OrangeSVTguy, Mar 26, 2011.

1. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Sold my MacBook pro for now and want to move my backups to my windoors rig for now. How and where are the backups and is it even possible to sync my iPhone and all my stuff to my windows computer? I'll be buying an iPad this week that I want to sync too and I'll be switching back to OSX but just want to temporarily move everything to my Windows computer. Any help greatly appreciated.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

The backup's are located here...

(Mac) ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

(Win Vista) C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

(Win 7) C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

(Win XP) Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

If you are moving to another machine, you will need to move your entire iTunes media library before your first sync, or you will wipe your phone. Moving the backup wont do wont do you any good, its the library that you need to be concerned with.

There are several ways to move your media, between the machines...

1) Copy your entire media library to an external.
    2) If your media is "purchased", connect you phone to the new machine, select your device in the left pane, and select "Transfer Purchases".
    3) If you have a home wifi network, you can set up "Home Sharing" in iTunes between the two computers (very easy to do, and takes less than a minute), and import the media from one machine to the other.

If you need any more help, PM me or post back here....

3. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Awesome! Thanks so much. :apple:

I just need to download MacDriver so I can access my stuff from Windows. I just cloned my drive to my 1TB 2.5" drive so I can just pop it into my Windows rig to do the copying of the libraries. Don't have the MBP to network with.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

One thing that I forgot to mention.... When you connect your phone to the "new" machine, Itunes may try to sync, if it does, CANCEL IMMEDIATELY, then make sure that iTunes is not set to sync automatically.