Moving up to 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ShaneBunting, Oct 19, 2013.

1. ShaneBunting Suspended

Hi guys, I bought an 11" Air last month and am using it as my main computer.

Mostly, I use it on an HDTV, which is great! But when I'm not using it on there, the screen can be a bit too small.

My question is, should I sell it and get a maxed out 13" Air from Apple?

Double RAM and 512GB RAM with the extra 2" of real estate on the screen seems like it would be worth it.

Also, do any of you have the i7 2013 model? Is this a worthy/noticeable upgrade over the base-i5?

Thanks!

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

General concensus around here is...

I7 minimal differential, may even run slighter hotter/noisier if those things matter to you.

512 SSD not worth it.

But u don't need our blessings. You got the dough, do what make you happy.

3. yinz macrumors 6502a

13" MacBook Air is really good. Like the post above mentioned, ram upgrade is good! The i7 and the SSD size isn't too important. Some people find the SSD lacking in capacity. I think it's a personal preference. If you don't want to put it in yourself, just go with the 512GB SSD (not RAM.. 512GB is a lot of RAM)

4. ShaneBunting thread starter Suspended

* 512 SSD , apologies.

..but still, won't be long.. 10 years? lol

5. WillFisher macrumors 6502

WillFisher

My view, internals are your own kinda needs, I use a lot of cloud based everything, so not 100% needed.

However, those 2 extra inches really do make a hell of a difference.
    Yes, I know thats what she said.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

For me, it was worth it. My MBA is my primary computer, I don't want to depend on an external drive for things other than archival storage and I cannot get a fast enough internet connection here for cloud storage to be useful.

I also edit audio and professional HD video and and the blazing fast (700+ mb/sec) 512gb SSD is terrific for that.

FWIW, I went the other direction. I replaced my 13" 2011 MBA with a 2013 11" i7/8gb/512gb MBA and am very happy. Mostly it is used at home with a big screen an external keyboard. The screen on the 11" MBA is definitely on the small size, but I find it an acceptable trade-off for the portability.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I wouldn't say consensus... :rolleyes:

20% better performance is not minimal, and 512GB is most definitely worth it, for some folks who value space more than the extra cost. I for one would have gotten the 1TB option had there been one....

8. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

Do it.

You more screen and more battery life.

i7 is up to you. I have it but doubt I 'need' it. I didn't want to wait for a built to order unit and just ponied up for an ultimate.

8 GB RAM is a no brainer and SSD size is purely personal need/preference. Although the 256 and 512 get better/faster read write speeds. I would give up i7 for more storage. Get the most you can afford and need. I've never regret getting the 'better' model while I've often regretted not spending that little extra when I had the chance.

9. Y So Jelly macrumors regular

It'll be a bit painful at first but you'll grow to love it.. oh, right. You meant the Air.

The screen has improved saturation & the battery life is better.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

My .02

I'd max the SSD in your affordability range. Ditto RAM. I got the I5 and have never missed whatever minute boost the I7 would provide. My MBA is super quiet, too.