Moving VM XP HD to External Enclosure

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jakk003, Mar 19, 2009.

1. jakk003 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I currently have windows XP installed by VMware Fusion on an internal hard drive. Is it possible to move the hard drive to an external firewire hard drive enclosure and still be able to run windows XP from my mac pro?

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to offer.

2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

In theory is sounds possible. The only problem is that I don't know how to get VMware to go to the directory that the virtual machine is in.

I wanted to move my virtual machine file out of the documents folder and it wouldn't let me.

3. CarpetMonster macrumors newbie

I haven't tried it exactly this way (only when moving a converted PC to VM image on my xserve) but how about trying this. Copy the VM files to the external disk then in VMware Fusion slecting New, Continue without disk, Use an existing virtual disk and then browsing to the VM on the external disk.

4. SnakeOiler Guest

Works well. When it asks if you moved the image or copied it, always choose moved.

5. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

I would imagine the performance of the VM will suffer due to the reduced bandwidth of the external drive when using firewire.

6. SnakeOiler Guest

Somewhat. Its not bad. esata works better.

7. lists.oz macrumors newbie

eSATA performance is OK

If you try eSATA you may find that the performance difference due to disk connectors is reduced or removed. On a MBP with a cardbus eSATA connector we are getting better performance that with the internal disk due to the fact we are using 7200 RPM external drives where as the internal is only 5400. Same bandwidth in/out of both from what I understand.