Moving Weather Widget in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PatriotInvasion, Aug 12, 2010.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Hi all - I know there are some other threads on this, but none seem to have a definitive answer. So this issue happened on my previous MacBook Pro with Leopard and then again with Snow Leopard.

Now, it's happening again on my brand new 27" iMac. Every time I restart and bring up the dashboard, my weather widget loads and then jumps down a quarter of an inch or so on the screen. How can I stop this from happening and why hasn't Apple fixed this after 2 years???:confused::mad:

2. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Err I think it happens on everyones mac. Just never thought to bring it up. Bit of a bugger. Sorry I don't have a solution! :eek:

3. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Some brilliant MR's reader has to have a fix for this!:eek:

4. nobias macrumors regular

Did you load the iMac with the MacBook pro's old settings?

The computer may be using the old ones screen resolution to determine the position of certain apps.

Things like this used to happen to me. I just load all files onto a new pc myself instead of using automated backups like time machine on a new computer.

5. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

No, the iMac was setup fresh and new. All I did was pull my iTunes and iPhoto libraries from my Time Capsule as well as documents and address book contacts. I think it's an issue with Snow Leopard itself.

6. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

If there's any way to report bugs somewhere, either in the OS or on the Web, that's probably the only way to solve the issue in the long term, if everything else doesn't work.

7. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

8. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

strange i have the weather widget too on my iMac 17" core duo and it stays same size and always same spot :confused:
    at least i think its the same mine says under info on the back "the weather channel in a square and powered by yahoo "

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not the same widget. It's a very old issue (at least 5 years) with the one by AccuWeather.com, and it does the same thing on mine, using 10.5.8. I just move it up each time. It's not a a big deal, since I so rarely reboot.

10. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Still bugs the heck out of me. They should fix this...seems like it would be easy to do so. I put in the bug report on Apple.com...we'll see.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The bug isn't with Apple; it's with AccuWeather. If it really bugs you that much, use a different widget.

12. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

It happens in Mac OS X...how is it not an Apple issue? This is a stock widget that they provide as the default weather widget on all of their machines. If it were just some random widget I downloaded elsewhere, I could see your point but I can't imagine Apple is happy with the default weather widget being buggy on all of their machines right out of the box

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple doesn't write all the widgets. They simply offer them on their site, the same way as the App store. They also don't write the music they sell on the iTunes Store.

It's also not a Mac OS X problem because it only happens to that widget and not others.

Read the text at the bottom of the Apple widget site:

14. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Regardless, Apple ships all Macs with this widget on the Dashboard right out of the box. How does it look for them if every new Mac owner fires up their Mac and immediately sees a buggy, falling weather widget after every restart. Not a good look.

So I think by alerting Apple of the issue, they can either make AccuWeather fix it (if it is their issue) or stop using that as their default widget on new Macs. Make sense?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't matter if it's shipped with a Mac or if you download it from their site. The same rule applies. Apple can't and won't "make AccuWeather" fix anything. That's why they tell you "Any questions, complaints or claims regarding the applications must be directed to the appropriate software vendor."

16. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Again...that's fine that it's AccuWeather's problem, but if Apple cares about first impressions of their Macs, they should remove this widget from the preinstalled list since it does not work as it should.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The app works fine. You're simply obsessing about the slight movement. That movement does not affect the functionality of the widget.

18. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Fair enough...but it shouldn't move! That's bunk man:)

19. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

If anyone is still wondering about this small problem that has bugged me since the introduction of the dashboard in Tiger, I have finally found a solution of some sort. Locking the file ~/Library/Preferences/widget-com.apple.widget.weather.plist stops the widget moving around when dashboard launches.

20. spacemanspifff, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

spacemanspifff macrumors 6502

spacemanspifff

Weather Widget Moving STILL!!

The reason this widget is moving around is because the images that it uses at the top are all different sizes and have different offsets. This means that when the widget loads, it plots its position on screen from its prefs and then brings in the graphic for your location. If this graphic is bigger than the last one then it moves the widget down to accommodate it. If it's the same size the widget will stay where it was before.

I would think that the reason Apple have not fixed it in years is because they don't see it moving, coz its always 70 degrees and sunny in LaLa land. lol

I fixed mine by going into the code with dashcode and changing the offset for each graphic to 0. This stops the picture extending out of the top of the box but means the box is always the same size. Sometimes it looks a little weird but at least it's always in the same place now.

It would be pretty simple for Apple to sort out, in fact I could have calculated the correct offset for each graphic myself, but I just couldn't be bothered.

Perhaps it will get fixed in 10.7.3? but I doubt it. :)

By the way to the guy above who's been banging on about it not being Apples problem - I am afraid that you are wrong my friend, it is their problem, the code is all theirs and has their copyright at the top, they just use the AccuWeather service for the data. So they SHOULD fix it.

21. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Thank you sir.