Moving Where iTunes is Stored..

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Campbell80, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Campbell80 macrumors member

Hi,

I want to move my iTunes library to an external hd and I got some advice in the apple retail store.

Just drag the iTunes folder in music to external hd. Then when opening iTunes hold alt and chose location but that doesn't work.

Any advice?

Cheers.

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

hold option (⌥) while launching iTunes, then select the iTunes folder on the external.

on a winsloth machine, it would be the shift key.

3. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

4. Campbell80 thread starter macrumors member

5. Campbell80 thread starter macrumors member

tried this and it's not working :(

6. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

You have to hold down the option key before you click on the iTunes icon in Applications or in your Dock. You should then see a window that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

7. rayward macrumors 68000

The instructions above are correct, but if you're still stuck, try this:

Move your iTunes library (drag 'n' drop to the new location); open iTunes as normal; click on iTunes in the menu bar, select Preferences; go to the Advanced tab and click the "Change library..." button. Navigate to and select the new location of your library; iTunes will update your library and ask you if you want to keep it organised (I say "yes").

Once you're happy that iTunes is working from the correct library, go ahead and delete your "old" library as your new location is a copy.

8. GabooN macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

best guide I've come across. Used it to move my library to an external when I needed space. Just remapped the iTunes folder location and hit consolidate library and let iTunes do all the work. Left the database file on the internal drive where it was.