Moving Windows 7 from one drive to another

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mcfly2, Oct 14, 2010.

1. mcfly2 macrumors member

I currently have 2 drives installed in my MBP 15" i7, via Optibay kit. I have OSX on the main drive, and Windows 7 on the optibay drive. I'm attempting to upgrade/replace the optibay drive.

So, I've used Winclone to clone the optibay drive, I have restored it on my new drive, and installed the new drive in place of the old one in the optibay.

When I boot OSX, I can see the new bootcamp drive and all its contents. But when I attempt to boot windows, I just get a black screen with a blinking white cursor in the upper left corner. Any ideas?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You could try running a Windows Startup Repair from the Windows 7 install disc. It may take a while, but is generally pretty good about fixing things.

B

3. mcfly2 thread starter macrumors member

Do you know if I have to boot the windows install disc to run the repair? (I'd try it but I don't have the disc with me.) I ask because if so, it means I need to pull out both drives, put the new drive in the main bay, and reinstall the optical drive. I'd sure like to avoid that.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm afraid so.

B

5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

If you have compressed the Bootcamp volume at one stage you need to decompress it on the new drive.

Generally you could try to use different preferences in Winclone.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just to be clear. Are you referring to the image compression settings or shrinking the NTFS image/partition size?

B

7. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

If the file system has been shrunk before it will not start up on a new drive unless you expand it.

But there are various preferences that could be used.

8. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Did WinClone copy the entire disc, or just your Windows partition? You may be missing the information from the MBR (Master Boot Record) that enables Windows to boot. In this case, you will need the original DVD and you will have to restore it.

This web page might help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

9. mcfly2 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't use compression when I created the clone.

Also, Windows Repair didn't work for me. After selecting the option to do a repair, I'd get an error that said the installed operating system wasn't compatible with Windows 7, even though I was using the same disk that I used to install the OS initially.

Anyway, I ended up re-installing Windows 7 from scratch. Thanks for the suggestions!

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It sounds like gugucom is actually referring to changing the partition size (particularly making it smaller).

Strange that repair didn't work. It has for me (on my DIY PC) and others here with similar problems.

B