Moving Windows 7 from One Machine to Another

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MikeM87, Aug 15, 2011.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hey Guys,

I have Windows 7 installed on a bootcamp partition on my MacBook Pro and would like to migrate this to the new iMac i have just purchased. Does anyone know how i would go about doing this?

Thanks guys!

Mike

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That doesn't sound like a good idea. Isn't Windows going to need iMac drivers?

3. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hi,

Yes it would but this is going to be a fresh install so all the drivers should be picked up by the bootcamp assistant surely?

My question is that the disc has already been used so if I use it again then will it not say that the license has already been used? I don't mind uninstalling it from one computer and putting it on another.

Hope this clears it up.

Thanks,

Mike

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That depends on what Windows you bought.

If you bought a retail copy (full or upgrade) it will most likely activate online without a hitch. You just have to make sure not to boot the old install again.

If you bought OEM/System Builder it will not usually activate online but will force you to call in. At which point it will most likely work just fine.

Note that OEM/System Builder licenses explicitly do not grant you the right to transfer a license from one machine to another, so if you plan to do this again you might want to consider a retail version.

B

5. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hi,

Yes it is the full version of home premium that i have.

Thanks,

Mike.