Moving windows around with keyboard, how?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cbi1000, Mar 20, 2017.

1. cbi1000 macrumors newbie

Hello, So i launch an app on my MacBook Pro and it opens with the title bar off the screen.... I can't move drag the window around the screen....

Is there a way to move windows around the screen with the keyboard? Like using the arrow keys to move windows around. I need to move the window down so i can see the title bar.

thanks,

2. fisha macrumors regular

With the app open as the current app, you should be able to select from the main desktop title menu bar Window > Zoom.

That should then adjust the window to match the top and bottom of the screen. (but not maximise it to full screen). At least whats what happens on my iMac.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You may be able to send the window to the Dock using command-M, and then hold down shift while clicking on it in the Dock. Then try and see if you can catch it using the pointer and move it a bit, to get it back where it belongs.
    But really, the zoom function mentioned above is the correct way to do it, but I assume that it isn't working properly when a developer has made it possible for a window to go off screen.

4. kTran33 macrumors newbie

You can also try a simple program like divvy, I'm using it to resize windows and it's really useful.

5. jamietshaw macrumors member

As already said, Window > Zoom is normally the best method. It’s equivalent to Alt-clicking the green dot. Also, bear in mind that with Mac apps, you can normally drag more than just the title bar – for example, you can move a Finder window by dragging the status bar, if you have it showing.

Deleting the app’s preferences file might help.

If you get really stuck you can probably write some AppleScript to resize the window, but that’s probably not the best option unless you’re really good at AppleScript.

Re. moving windows with the keyboard: This isn’t a standard thing, unlike in Windows (Alt-Space, M, then arrow keys). It’s possible to simulate mouse movement with the keyboard (System Preferences > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad > Enable Mouse Keys – see the help file for which keys to press for up/down etc.), so it *might* be possible to get the mouse cursor far up enough in order to get hold of your window.

6. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Try this --

Hold Option while you drag the bottom edge of the window.

7. chabig macrumors 68040

Windows can be dragged from any of the four sides.

When the cursor is over a window edge, it turns into a small pair of arrows. Moving it in the direction of the arrows changes the dimension of the window. But moving it PERPENDICULAR to the direction of the arrows makes the window draggable.

8. cbi1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your help. But Zoom is not an option, it's not available. Only one corner of said PoS window is viewable. Might delete program. FYI, it's Adobe Elements 12 Organizer...

9. chabig macrumors 68040

See my post #8!

10. cbi1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that, no go....

11. chabig macrumors 68040

If any of the window border shows, then dragging should work. If you can't drag it from there it's an app problem not a system problem.

12. jamietshaw macrumors member

Adobe loves to be a bit non-standard with their software, so it’s a shame Window > Zoom isn’t available given that this has been a standard menu item for decades. Either that or the window is treated more as a “dialog” than a “window” – I don’t know the program but it’s a possibility. In any case, do try closing the app then deleting preference files. This Adobe page says where the files are stored.

13. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Or mine (option-drag) --

Option-drag moves the opposite edge of the window simultaneously. That is, if you hold the Option key, then click and drag the bottom edge up or down, the TOP edge of the window will also move up or down.

OP, did you try this or not?

14. cbi1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, i tried what everyone suggested. I ended up deleting the program. I was on the fence between using it and Adobe Lightroom.

15. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I use an app called Magnet for shortcut key based window management. Should work the same for this situation. If they don't have a free trial there is an app called Moom that works similarly.

16. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Now I'm wondering how the top edge ended up off-screen in the first place.

17. cbi1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree! No idea.

18. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I used to have that problem with Opera, I think it was, under Mountain Lion. The top of the window would be where I couldn't get to it. In that case it happened when I reopened Opera with previous windows. New windows didn't open that way. Strange.

19. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Maybe a resolution switch, or plugging in/unplugging an external monitor?

One thing I've liked about Mac is how -- usually, anyway -- there's always a part of the window to "grab" and drag. Plus, for the past few versions of OS X/macOS, the top of the window automatically stops at the bottom of the menubar.

The option-drag trick didn't work, though? I made a guess about it, to be honest; I didn't know the feature existed until I read your thread and tried dragging some window edges while holding modifier keys.

20. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Oh, hey -- shift-drag resizes the entire window but leaves the opposite edge in one place (it's as if the aspect ratio stays the same)...

Opt-shift-drag resizes the entire window and its center remains in the same position.

Just for future reference...