Moving WoW from Mac OS to Windows

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by 7254278, Oct 23, 2008.

1. 7254278 macrumors 68020

I wan to play WoW on my bootcamp partition and not on OS X. Is there any way of doing that with out re installing?

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

No.

Like any other applications/programs. You need to install it in the appropriate OS before you can use it.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

What are the perks of not reinstalling? Doesn't all your characters, etc. live on Blizzard's servers?

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

That is true. I had uninstalled WoW a while back and my account was frozen. Months later I installed it again and re-opened my account. Everything was there.

I've uninstalled it again since.

5. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Is there an advantage to running this on the Windows partition instead of the OSX partition?

6. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

While the characters and all of their gear is stored on the servers, the UI settings, macros, and key bindings are stored on your computer. There is a folder named "WTF" where all this information is saved and should be able to be copied between Windows and OS X. I know I've copied it between my Macs before to keep from writing my macros again.

7. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

No in fact running it on the Windows parittion is worse. WoW is one of the few games that runs equally well on both. On some systems people CLAIM to get a 5-10FPS increase but these have never been proven and with the new WoW engine I think it is moot anyway.

In fact, running WoW in OS X gives you EXTRA options that the Windows client doesn't have. There is a whole "Mac Options" tab but there is no "Windows Options" tab in the Windows client. It is a little gift from Blizzard to OS X users since Blizzard uses Mac's to code the game itself. These options include things like built in iTunes controls and a built in video capturing system.

Why someone would want to put a game that one plays off an on in Windows is beyond me. Windows is better for TF2 and stuff but any game that I can run decently in OS X I will because dual-booting is a PITA.

8. motoxpress macrumors 6502

This is not my experience with the MBP. It runs slower in OS X by 20%. I have seen the same thing in other MBPs as well. Just what I have observed.

-mx

9. tYsopz macrumors member

Just copy your "Interface" and "WTF" folders from your mac to the corresponding directory in windows and addons and such shouldn't be a problem. I've done this multiple times when on LAN.