Movistar Announces iPhone Support in Spain

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
YES the first reply!

Any way, is it me or does this read 2nd june 2008?.....today?

Which makes no sense but just wondering on the pictorial "numbers" tease.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Any way, is it me or does this read 2nd june 2008?.....today?

Which makes no sense but just wondering on the pictorial "numbers" tease.
maybe the 682 has something to do with the text at the bottom of the poster, as that is 683. I tried a translation web site and it didnt come up with much! I suppose we wait for a spanish speaking forum member to tell us!

Not sure why im getting so excited as i dont even live in Spain! (uk) but it might help us work out when it comes to over here!

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
Says, "Movistar brings you the magic of the iPhone. Want to know when? We are 683 impatience" I know what the last sentence says but I can't quite transfer it correctly, it's basically saying that's there's already 683 impatient people waiting as well.

At first I thought the numbers were dates 06 (or maybe 16) 08 and 2. I think 08 represents year so that does leave June 2nd which is today. Hmm...

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Isnt it funny how we all hang onto the tiniest bit of information!

Its only a week away so things are either going to get quiet or mental in the next few days. Also im hoping that as the carriers are already sorted for the UK (02) that we're going to see a fast delivery of new iphones in the shops soon after the announcement.

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
I think the page is dynamically changing, and displays the number of visitors to the page. So every visitor is an "impatient person", anxiously waiting for the iPhone to be released. Gizmodo has an article about the announcement, and their screen capture of the site shows pictures displaying 0-0-0-2-9 and then says "29 impatient people" or whatever. So yeah it's just a glorified hit counter...sorry to disappoint! :eek:

Gizmodo also says the page was not supposed to be live yet, and has been taken down, which is why it directs to the main page.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Darn it!

Thought we could've glimmed some clever info out of that post, but yeah it looks like nothing more than a fancy hit counter!

spaniardnickfur

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
Hi, writing from Spain.
The numbers are just a counter of registered users of the website. The site has an apply form to receive news :)

BraveArts

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Madrid, Spain
June 18th

I live in Madrid, Spain and was contacted about a month ago by my local Apple distributor to see if I wanted to receive information about the i-phone when it was released. I got chatting with the person and was told that, although they hadn't been given concrete information, the launch date for Movistar Spain would be June 18th. This would allow time after it's launch at WWDC on June 9th to run their teaser ad and solicit intrigue. Who knows? I just wish they would get on with it. It's been a long time coming.
Oh, the other thing was that, apparently, Movistar would only have exclusivity for 6 months after which it would be wide open for all to sell. Vamos a ver (Let's see!)

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Not surprised they went with movistar seeing as how telefónica is pretty much a monopoly.
I wonder if data/monthly rates will even be affordable!?

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Wait...you're telling me Spain has a wireless company named Movie Star?

Thats kinda fun.

My iPhone Risk Map is starting to turn all red...

Masquerade

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2007
Wait...you're telling me Spain has a wireless company named Movie Star?

Thats kinda fun.

My iPhone Risk Map is starting to turn all red...
that's a pick for a mobile operator in turkey :rolleyes:
movi come from mobile. movil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.