Mozilla Acquires Read-it-Later App Pocket

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 27, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Mozilla today announced it has acquired read-it-later app Pocket, which it says has 10 million unique monthly active users on iOS, Android, and the web. The app, formerly known as Read It Later, launched in 2007 and is integrated in services such as Flipboard and Twitter. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

[​IMG]

Pocket will become a wholly owned subsidiary of Mozilla Corporation and will become part of the Mozilla open source project, the company said. Pocket's core employees and technology will help accelerate its Context Graph initiative, while promoting the discovery and accessibility of high quality web content.

Mozilla CEO Chris Beard:
    Mozilla and Pocket worked together to integrate the service within Firefox in 2015, and this acquisition will allow the teams to work more closely together.

Mozilla's acquisition follows in the footsteps of Instapaper, one of Pocket's biggest rivals, which was acquired by Pinterest in August 2016.

Article Link: Mozilla Acquires Read-it-Later App Pocket

2. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

I love Pocket and very much hope this acquisition doesn't alter it in any way. That said, if any company were to buy it I'm glad it's Mozilla.

3. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

I dislike Mozilla. They've fallen behind and seem to have lost their way.

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Good idea and maybe kill the Mac app as it has not n-been updated in years.

5. KALLT macrumors 601

I am curious to see how this affects Pocket’s premium features. I stopped using them when they started injecting ‘recommendations’ into my list. It put me off so much, that I migrated away to Instapaper almost immediately.

6. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Why kill it? It works fantastically well under Sierra and serves its purpose completely. It's meant to be a lightweight and simple app in line with the service as a whole. I'm personally glad they don't mess with it.

7. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

It does need an update. If not it will break at some point.

8. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

They'll test it before the release of every new macOS release. Compatibility updates are practically a given but the app won't get one until required.

9. ignatius345 macrumors 68000

God I hope they don't ruin Kobo e-reader integration.

10. iDento macrumors 6502

iDento

11. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

I've never used any of these type of apps. Is it really that useful?

12. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Absolutely, mainly because it downloads the webpage so you've always got access to the content even if the page is altered or removed. Combine that with the ability to add tags to each webpage/media and you can start to also use it as a cross-platform archival tool, perfect for recipes or anything you want to keep for reference.

It's free, so best bet is to give it a go and see if it works for you. Mozilla are one of the few companies I would trust with my data and respect for privacy, so if anyone had to buy them out I'm glad it's them and not Microsoft or Google.

13. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Likely gonna integrate it into Firefox and make it the only option for using it. Bye bye Pocket.

14. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

Hmm, that feeling is so common these days... "yay, my favorite app xyz hasn't been updated in n months!"

These days apps and services heavily trend towards worse and dumbed down.

I'm glad when **** stays the same more often than not. :eek:

Glassed Silver:mac

15. Zoddino macrumors regular

Zoddino

It's already integrated into Firefox and it is going to be open source according to ghacks. So no need to worry, it's Mozilla we're talking about not Google

16. Nostromov, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

Nostromov macrumors newbie

Nostromov

LOL, says the man w/username gigapocket1! xD

Absolutely, the way to deal with it is to right-click, Customize... the Title Bar Toolbar and slide Pocket off; Then right after restarting Firefox, from about:config, disable Pocket by setting to false: extensions.pocket.enabled

[​IMG]

^^ Addressing that issue, some ~6-7 years ago - whenever it was, since (ALL of) the devs jumped ship - the post 4.x version re-structuring... There was no going back, when it had happened.

I suppose how (Google) Chrome had a large part to play it in (maybe), but there was still no reason to go with the whole Australis travesty and API... Just to be able to "compete", with... Something - I don't know what; what and who they're running against, whatever. :-/

*THANKFULLY, though, HTML5 could not have come (out) at a better time!.. Video capabilities: compression, encoding; being able to eliminate 3rd-party plugins (& whatever), such as Real Audio, Adobe, DivX and all the rest! =)

The thing about it is that it's a runaway-train, as there are (even) more horrendous changes on the way - the WebExtensions. Coupled with Java and whatnot, we're gonna be entering an era of (web) browser botnets... Google Chrome has already been there a while, for people who don't check their advanced options - in order to dis-select keeping things running in the background, which is turned-on by default (l-mao, the madness). A testing-ground for the (mobile) Android OS.

Pardon the wall-of-text, I keep condensing the post (& deleting!), but it's hard to squeeze it all in, blah. ;-/

++ Plus, I'm (way, LOL) off-topic again - in the Mac section.

Oh, my goodness, ROTFLMAO, just realized; part of that quote, OS X Dude's post about it being FREE... Omg., that's so sad: Apple Macintosh users having to STATE how something is being offered for free - because LMAO, everything else costs an-arm-and-a-leg. Pftt. xD

Yeah, that's it (!), I've gone delirious, lolo. Better GTHO, but let us (me!) know - if you will - who, IN THE WORLD, would even use this Pocket, offline, feature?.. In order to read, what, when?! Bookmarking something and getting to it the next time is no longer fashionable, or something?! Honestly, I don't get it. :)

17. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

So Instapaper went to Pinterest and Pocket to Mozilla. Hopefully one of them survives because they're the only decent options.

18. timod macrumors newbie

Did you try Paperspan already? simple & neat. I don't want worms inside my Pocket when Im on to read.

19. Fall Under Cerulean Kites macrumors 6502

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

I had no clue there even was a macOS app. Thanks. Downloading!

Pocket is sort of like a roach motel for me. Pages check in but they don’t check out. I put a lot of stuff into Pocket that I never go back to read. Maybe the app will help with that.