Mozilla bringing an app to the iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by TSX, Oct 17, 2009.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Mozilla CEO Jon Lily at the Play conference, an event at the Haas School of Business at the University of Berkeley. There, Lily hinted that Mozilla would be submitting an app to the App Store.

“Mozilla will release an app to the iPhone app store in the next few weeks,” Lily said. “It’ll surprise people.”

While Mozilla's business is mostly browsers, they do other related stuff and they aren't likely to try to get a Safari competitor by Apple's App Store reviewers.

http://www.9to5mac.com/mozilla-app-iphone

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

uhhhhh did you not read what i bolded?:confused:

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Damn you had me. I want a different iPhone browser.

4. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

5. LinMac macrumors 65816

That is Windows. It is just a photoshopped picture where they put Firefox over a picture of an iPhone.

6. Jookbox macrumors 6502

Windows 95, lol. Yeah you can tell it's a bad photoshop by the distorted firefox logo.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Very true. The person who made the photo could of very easily did some minor things to correct that but looking at it even closer one can tell it is photo shop on.

My question is apple approving it or using the same BS argument they used to stop GV.

8. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Apple will approve it if you wave enough cash under their greedy noses. They've bent their own "rules" so many times already that they don't really matter anymore. I wouldn't mind a different browser, also.

9. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I feel like people aren't reading the article quoted at all, since it specifically says likely NOT the browser :confused:

10. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Did the person who wrote the article realize that there are already other browsers in the app store? A firefox mobile browser is VERY possible, we'll see.

11. Andy348 macrumors 6502

So they're releasing an app, but not a browser?

But then the pchop is of a firefox browser on the iPhone?

so confused..

12. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

I agree with you.

13. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

The browsers in the app store all use UIWebView so they're basically Safari with a different address bar and bookmark system.

If Mozilla wants Firefox on the iPhone, they wouldn't use a UIWebView, they'd port Gecko over and use that for the rendering engine.

And again, this article states that this is not a browser on the iPhone. So I don't know why everyone is talking about Firefox or browsers. The OP seems to be very confused.

14. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    I don't think that's a photo shopped picture. More likely a person using LogMeInIgnition to access their home PC

15. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

It would be AWESOME if they put Firefox in Cydia.

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

seeing Firefox

seeing Firefox On a Iphone is unlikely they tried before. maybe Firefox will try a jb version someday but in the App store it's like Apple deciding to drop Apple and go with Sprint very unlikely. there was even a April fools joke that fooled allot of people saying Firefox is coming to the iphone. Apple seems only open to browsers using the UIWebView or Safari software. I hope mozilla doesn't do that just to get there name up, really don't need it imo. Plus it will confuse people that it's using there system.

17. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

The only way im going to be surprised is if its Firefox coming, anything else i wouldn't be surprised by.

18. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

It's good to know you know yourself enough to know what will surprise you before knowing what the heck it is. And why post an article that contradicts you ?

Seriously, you're just being a fool here.

19. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

The article contradicts the quote... but at any rate, that's exciting.