Mozilla Firefox 68.0.2esr

DearthnVader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Just wanted to start a new topic covering what has been the best web browser I've used on PowerPC.

Thus far it's Mozilla Firefox 68.0.2esr, it renders very fast on my Quad, not tested on my Late 2005 Dual Core, yet.

It's not without it's bugs, some graphics and video render with a deep blue tent, but most web video plays and Java script doesn't seem to bring the system to a standstill like TenFourFox does.

The blue tent and rending error don't seem to show up in screenshots, so it may have something to do with the Geforce 6600 and xserver-xorg-video-nouveau( as a by-the-by if you have a nVidia card and you are having trouble with Xorg, you likely will want to pull this package, seems it should be installed by default when you install Xorg, but it's not. Without it my mouse cursor didn't render in X. It doesn't fix all rendering errors, but most of them.)

Granted this is the most powerful PPC Apple ever made, so we'll have to see how it preforms on the Dual G5's.

I have to say I really enjoy the quantum engine, it's just loads faster than Firefox's old engine.

It would be nice if we could port Quantum to 32bit PPC too.

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
If I remember correctly, Quantum performed about as fast as a tweaked TFF on my Dual Core.
Agree. I built SpiderWeb for OS X 10.7+ for kicks and it along with Waterfox are faster than Quantum on my core2duo imac. It's not always about speed either. I don't trust google/mozilla any more. Too much spyware in their browsers.

Now i've not tested Quantum on PPC yet, but AF and SW are light years faster than FF52.

Cheers

DearthnVader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Agree. I built SpiderWeb for OS X 10.7+ for kicks and it along with Waterfox are faster than Quantum on my core2duo imac. It's not always about speed either. I don't trust google/mozilla any more. Too much spyware in their browsers.

Now i've not tested Quantum on PPC yet, but AF and SW are light years faster than FF52.

Cheers
With ad blocking, disabling Java script, or other tweaks to browsers do pages like CNN.com still load correctly?

I've found with TenFourFox, without any tweaks, cnn will bring your system to it's knees.

z970mp

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2017
zgxSystems
Reactions: sparty411

DearthnVader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Preach.

What did Mozilla for me was this:

https://www.activistpost.com/2017/08/mozilla-joins-george-soross-efforts-launching-strike-fake-news.html

Forks are so great. Arctic Fox is essentially the offspring of Pale Moon, a free and open community-run browser, and TenFourFox, the de-facto Power Mac browser. All great things coming together to form something even greater. :)
I run Pale Moon on my iBook G4, it's great, maybe we need to start a Wiki post surrounding browsers?

wicknix

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I always block ads on every machine via a hosts file, no browser extension needed, and i generally only block 3rd party scripts by default, and enable them if required on a site by site basis. But yes, cnn, msn, nytimes, bbc etc all load in a timely manner and render properly in AF and SW.

I just uploaded a short crummy and shaky video of AF on ubuntu on a G4. The speeds are very reasonable (much quicker on my G5 though).

Cheers

DearthnVader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
I always block ads on every machine via a hosts file, no browser extension needed, and i generally only block 3rd party scripts by default, and enable them if required on a site by site basis. But yes, cnn, msn, nytimes, bbc etc all load in a timely manner and render properly in AF and SW.

I just uploaded a short crummy and shaky video of AF on ubuntu on a G4. The speeds are very reasonable (much quicker on my G5 though).

Cheers
Thanks, Arctic Fox looks like it works well, what are the specs of the G4 system?

dextructor

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
I've started to DeGoogle my life since this june starting with my Android phone and Chrome on my PC and thinking that Firefox was indeed a good alternative besides the "bloat" so if you can please explain why the linked article it's a problem for Firefox.

Can you please post a guide to how install this plugin/configuration (aka. sorcery :cool:) of VLC inside ArticFox? Thanks

z970mp

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2017
zgxSystems
I've started to DeGoogle my life since this june starting with my Android phone and Chrome on my PC and thinking that Firefox was indeed a good alternative besides the "bloat" so if you can please explain why the linked article it's a problem for Firefox.
Mozilla got into bed with George Soros to decide what is and is not fake news. First, research George Soros.

Second, here is a major problem with this philosophy:

"I worry more about those who want to act as fact checkers, blatantly ignoring propaganda and fake news by the MSM while targeting alternative media and dictating what is and isn’t important for public consumption."

If you want my advice, independent community forks like Waterfox are the way to go.

Mozilla is another one.

wicknix

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@dextructor : Grab this greasemonkey add-on https://github.com/janekptacijarabaci/greasemonkey/releases/download/3.31.4Fork/greasemonkey-3.31.4-pm_forkBranch.xpi then grab this script for GM and install it https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/2984-viewtube then apt-get install browser-plugin-vlc (also make sure vlc is installed). Close the browser and restart. Visit youtube, select video. You should see a still image. At the top choose low quality (for slower g4's) and select vlc from the drop down menu next to it (your settings will be saved for future videos). Click play and enjoy. :)

Cheers

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018

Cheers
How do heavier websites like gmail, quora, discord (messaging website)
hold up?
And what kind of YouTube player was arctic fox using? It looked like the old flash YouTube player from 2011

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018
Gmail works just fine, i don't visit/use quora, and for discord i built the discord plugin for Pidgin which works just peachy for basic needs. See image: https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/discord-pidgin-plugin-png.857545/
The post above yours explains youtube with vlc backend.

Cheers
I should probably have been more specific, does the new gmail load in Arctic Fox (the heavy modern bloated gmail with integrated google hangouts thats slow on even some modern machines) or the simple html gmail?

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018

wicknix

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Nooooo. Common misconception due to old style user interface. Pale Moon 28 is based around 52.9esr-60.9 code, but uses much of its own code base these days instead, and AF was based off pale moon 27 which was 38esr-48 code based.

Cheers

Last edited:

z970mp

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2017
zgxSystems
Nooooo. Common misconception due to old style user interface. Pale Moon 28 is based around 52.9esr-60.9 code, but uses much of its own code base these days instead, and AF was based off pale moon 27 which was 38esr-48 code based.

Cheers
Excellent, thank you for the correction. :)

Reactions: wicknix

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018

Cheers
Of course the UA in Arctic Fox can be changed to Nokia. and Pale Moon 28 is actually available for PPC Linux.

z970mp

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2017
zgxSystems
Heads up, although probably due to their rigorous security, Leopard WebKit has lost OpenBSD.org since a little while ago.

LeoWK was last touched in Oct 2018. Perhaps this is a sign of things to come?

Even TenFourFox is showing its age in areas...

wicknix

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@z970mp Try a UA switch. When github failed with LWK i just created a chrome 67 UA in the plist and it now displays and loads perfectly. That doesn't always work, but it fixed a bunch of sites that UA sniff.

Reactions: dextructor

Dronecatcher

macrumors 68040
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Heads up, although probably due to their rigorous security, Leopard WebKit has lost OpenBSD.org since a little while ago.

LeoWK was last touched in Oct 2018. Perhaps this is a sign of things to come?

Even TenFourFox is showing its age in areas...
I think I read something a while ago that the dev was waiting for Safari 13 to arrive so there'd be no more updates to 12, which I believe LWK bases it's security/certs on. Safari 13 was a month ago so depends on how busy he is?