Mozilla/Firefox applic. opening ????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rhobes, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hi All- :confused:

I downloaded Mozilla 2.0.0.1 and when I startup my computer I want it to open with "My Yahoo" as my home page right off.

As is, when I startup my computer I get the Firefox browser and My Yahoo as the home page (just as I wanted) but behind the page, on the desktop, is a 4"x4" pop-up of the Firefox icon pointing to a smal icon & onto an application folder. I also have a Firefox hard drive icon which always appears on the desk top with the pop-up.

I downloaded Mozilla as specified a couple times (but always ends the same way) and just don't like all the extra pop-ups and icons it sets to the desk top, I always have to close them all, and move the hard drive icon to the side. I did drop the application into my hard drives application folder & it's there.

I also dragged the large blue & gold globe to the dock. It seems to open very slowly compared to Safari. The reason I'm changing is Yahoo's (My Yahoo) new format dosen't support Safari, only Mozill, (nothing works in Safari, it does in Mozilla).

Thanks for any info-

2. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Blue and gold icon? Have you ejected the disks?

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

This is yet another reason why i do not like Firefox, but that is neither here not there...

Open up Finder, and select Firefox from the sidebar. Now, drag the Firefox icon to your Applications folder, and then once it is done copying, drag THAT icon from the Applications folder to teh Dock. Now, press teh eject symbol next to Firefox in the sidebar. This is how you install things (usually) in OS X.

4. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Well, sorry to say this didn't work. When i restart the computer i don't even get My Yahoo home page to open, I just get the 4x4 Firfox popup which later turns into a large page advertisment for Mozilla add-ons.:eek:

i really want to take it to the street and smash it with a sledge hammer all night long... & no i can't make the i a capital on my new keyboard after many cleaning jobs to that.:eek:

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

Uh... i have no idea what's going on /towelie

Honestly, I've never heard of anything like what you are experiencing. You keep saying Mozilla... do you mean Firefox? Have you tried Camino? What version of Safari are you using? What OS are you using?

6. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

My computer info is in my sig.(see top) I'm using safari 1.3.2. Everything is always updated so I'm sure safari is up to date.

I thought Mozilla is the same thing as Firefox. Both names are used on its download interchangably, version 2.0.0.9

I never heard of Camino but it's not supported by Yahoo so forget that, -i'd rather go back to Safari and get rid of Yahoo I guess. I'd hate to get rid of Yahoo since i've had the same e-mail address for about 11 years.

i just thought I could get Firefox/Mozilla to work for me since it's the only thing Yahoo recommends for compatability now. Guess not....
    Thanks anyhow, i appreciate your time here....

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Several things:
    1. The current release version of Firefox is Firefox 2.0.0.9.
    2. Although Safari is still officially not supported by Yahoo.com, Safari does work with Yahoo.com.
    3. To chose your home page in Firefox, select Firefox>Preferences.... Click the Main tab. Type the URL of your home page in the Home Page: data entry box. In your case, that will be http://www.yahoo.com/.
    4. You clearly have not moved your copy of Firefox out of its distribution disk image file. That mysterious "4 x 4 pop-up" is the background of the mounted disk image file window which is intended to show you how to install Firefox.
    5. Double-click the Firefox mounted volume on your Desktop. Drag the Firefox icon out to your Applications folder. Drag the Firefox icon from the Applications folder to the Dock. Do not drag the copy from your Desktop mounted volume to the Dock.
    6. Move all of the disk image files that you downloaded to the Trash.

8. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Got it. I restarted as well as shutdown the computer a couple times each to make sure all is well & that did it!! Somehow or other i trashed all the right stuff & dragged the correct things to the right places. I really don't understand why the application dosen't come with specific directions, there is simply no way of knowing how to do it from their info.

Thanks MisterMe and EVERYONE on this thread!!!:D

Amazing how such trivial things make life worth living again.....:D

9. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Safari is at version 3.0.4. I'm not sure what the latest version is available to Panther, though. Regardless, Safari worked for me in Yahoo Mail when I was using Panther, so it should be fine. Anyway, follow what the previous poster stated. It sounds like you didn't copy Firefox correctly to your hard drive and haven't ejected the disk.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like it's been fixed.

10. TheStu macrumors 65816

Camino is a more OS X friendly version of Firefox. It is the same rendering engine (i think) just fits in a little better is all.

You could try to see if you can get Safari 3 for Panther, but I wouldn't hold out much hope of that, and since you got it working, it is no longer necessary.

You are right though that the Firefox DMG is not exactly the most clear thing in the world. As I said before, that is yet another reason why I do not like Firefox on OS X.