Mozilla or Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WhiskeyBusiness, Apr 6, 2008.

1. WhiskeyBusiness macrumors newbie

I just got my MBP on thursday from the apple site, its a pre-req for school (yay)
    I have been using a PC since I put my hands on a keyboard and as soon as thursday happened and I played around on this computer for a bit, I see why you go mac and you never go back.
    Anyways, I use Mozilla on my PC and wonder if there are any benefits to using it in place of Safari.
    No complaints with this computer thus far except for the annoying fact that my dog finds the power cord delicious.
    Anyways helpful opinions welcome.

2. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I always used to use firefox when I used windows, but when I got my MB I started using safari instead and haven't really missed firefox at all. I still have it installed for testing my websites though. Really the only big thing you will miss from firefox that safari does not have are extensions.

3. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Can't think of any reason to use Safari if you are happy with Firefox.

4. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

FF for free plug-ins and blockers. Basically it's just more configurable. I really liked Safari but the lack of mouse gestures and basically everything made me go back to Firefox. What annoys me greatly though, is FF's horrible startup time. It takes 10 seconds or so to launch...

5. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I personally use Camino, same company and engine as FireFox but it's just a little more Mac optimized. The only thing about Camino is that the FireFox plugins don't work on it. I haven't really found any that would make me use FF over Camino though.

ps. what school are you going to? an all-mac school sounds pretty intense:D

6. WhiskeyBusiness thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm doing my degree in graphic design, at Malaspina University. Evidently the course is pretty intense and this is the first year that they've had a pre-req for computers, normally they supply their own desktops, but now with the diploma program moving into a degree, they figure if everyone is on the same (evidently superior) OS, and everyone can work remotely with homework and stuff like that, then it'll make everything a little more uniform.

The delete key is hard to get used to, with a pc it seems to delete things to the right of it, whereas with the mac it acts as a backspace key....

7. mstens macrumors member

yep, but it's in the sam position as the backspace key on your PC. If you need to delete right, hold fn and hit delete.

Now, I like both browsers and have the new beta of mozilla 3 installed. I just wish mozilla would support the trackpad gestures

8. Sogo macrumors 6502

Review the extensions you like to use in Firefox and look at pimp my safari and see if they have anything similar to what you use. If not then stay with firefox.

9. sal macrumors 6502

i love firefox but I had some issues with firefox3beta4. beta2&3 worked fine but 4 gave me some problems, it kept crashing on me so I started using safari.

I know beta5 is out but I am happy right now with safari. I'll give FF3 another go when it's out of beta

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Fn+Backspace = Forward delete

I prefer Safari because of mainly the startup times, draggable tabs and Inquisitor

11. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I was the same way. I hated Internet Explorer and always used Firefox. I still do when I use my parents PC for Word and such. However, since I got Safari, I haven't even thought about Firefox. I think Safari works perfectly.

12. EricVT macrumors member

When I switched from Firefox to Safari there was simply too much I missed regarding plugins and config settings, so I just installed Firefox again and never looked back :)

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

try them both out for yourself, be sure to try firefox 3 beta 5.

make decision for yourself. nobody's surfing habits are same, and firefox/safari aren't always behave same on all the computers neither..

14. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

http://wcrawford.org/2008/02/28/everytime-i-think-about-you-i-touch-my-cell/

1. download multiclutch
    2. assign trackpad gestures to firefox
    3. ???????
    4. profit

15. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

firefox 3 beta 5 is definitely quicker and i like the plugins.

16. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

I tried firefox and ended up prefering safari. Safari works really well for browsing the web and etc, I just find it extremely buggy when browsing youtube. I'll always get some sort of error refering to unable to decode raw flash or something like. Anyone else getting this error after maybe an hour of youtubing?

17. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

latest beta of firefox improved its score on acid3 significantly.

18. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Just tried Inquisitor.. that thing's awesome! :D so good in fact, it might cause me migrate back to Safari from FF.

Right now though I tend to use FF though cause I can't live without AdBlock! Plus, I enjoy things like PicLens, TabScope and FireBug. Oh and you can drag tabs in FF btw.

19. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

heres an adblock solution for safari, works well.

http://safariadblock.sourceforge.net/

20. kwfl macrumors 6502

Firefox is the best browser known to mankind. :D

but yeah, dont compare safari to firefox. we love apple but we still wont go for safari while there is something called Firefox.

21. inVINCEcible2k3 macrumors newbie

the reason you would use mozilla in windows is not to catch or pick up anything. Since you're getting that with apple , no need to worry and safari works fine.:cool:

22. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Odd, PicLens is not available for OSX.

SafariStand's sidebar may remove the need for TabScope once installed

FF does not allow a tab to be dragged off to a new window, only rearranging tabs within windows.

23. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh, that reminds me:

when trying out safari, remember to goto safari's preference->general and turn off "open 'safe' file after download". Its a direct security risk.

Also be careful not to visit untrusted websites or click untrusted links from emails. Safari has no anti-phishing protections.

actually PicLens is available for OSX, both for firefox and safari, both non-current version, the one for safari has relative less function available tho.

About tabs, you are half right, you can't drag a tab out of a firefox window to open a new window. But you can indeed drag and arrange tabs among ALL fx windowS.

To be honest, for safari's weak tab browsing functions as a whole, I don't see this "drag tab to create a new windows" being very useful.

24. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Sorry, figured that's what you meant by draggable tabs.
    PicLens is available for OS/X though.. It's freaking great! especially when you combine it with two-finger scrolling! Horizontal pans and vertical zooms. Best way to run image search IMO.

25. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

After your original post, I searched and got this page as my first result, which says its not available for OSX: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5579

And it turns out, they make it for Safari: http://www.piclens.com/site/safari/