Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
Firefox was once my favorite browser, but now Chrome is. As a developer , it’s easy to find courses on Lynda.com and other sites for using Chrome developer, it has a ton a plugins on the Chrome store, is cross-platform, and integrates well with my G Suite setup. I’d love to use Safari as my primary browser, but my employer forces us to use Windows, plus a I have a few Windows VM’s that I use a browser on.

Firefox has a very small niche that it fills . People in that niche will love it , the rest of the world will use something else.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
love the "search box" and glad to see it's still there after the "Quantum" update. Was a bit of a bumpy road for a while with add-ons and customization's that needed to be tweaked and fixed after upgrading to 57.

moved the icons for add-ons and tools into the "more tools" drop down menu to make more room in the tool bar and expanded the search box to view more text.

Have all the add ons and tools back up to speed and using "Firefox Sync" to sync iPhone and iPads

Definitely much faster than the "pre Quantum" versions

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
Spinning beachball every single time I try to shut down Firefox; about 50% of the time I have to Force Quit. Zero issues on version 57.

joshen

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Firefox has been an insane power hog on my MBP for quite some time now (I'd say around two years), even with a single tab open cpu usage will jump to 200%+ and fans will start spinning. I've tried a clean reinstall and no addons but nothing changed. Safari and Chrome never gave me such issues, it's a shame cause I love the customizability of FF but right now it's unusable. Has anyone experience the same?

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I stopped regularly using Firefox several months ago. I find the cross-platform functionality of Safari more useful, despite Safari’s limitations.
Anyway, a few days ago I needed to load Firefox. It immediately started to update (i thought I had disable auto-update). I then got a ClamXAV warning of an infected file with a trojan and chose to delete the file. I don’t intend using Firefox again but will note any advice posted here.

jasonkratz

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2015
I stopped regularly using Firefox several months ago. I find the cross-platform functionality of Safari more useful, despite Safari’s limitations.
Anyway, a few days ago I needed to load Firefox. It immediately started to update (i thought I had disable auto-update). I then got a ClamXAV warning of an infected file with a trojan and chose to delete the file. I don’t intend using Firefox again but will note any advice posted here.

I suspect a false positive, especially if it's thru the auto-update mechanism.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I also suspect a false positive. Bitdefender has never alerted when Firefox updates. In fact, just withing the last few days I have updated to FF 59, no issues.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Come on Mozilla... Pinch to zoom still not available....??? Can't be so hard?

I'll go with FF when Pinch to zoom will be available - and I mean real pinch to zoom - not this CMD+/- stuff and about:config changes.

This - it's insane that the developers cannot understand platform defaults and insist the users edit about:config to get, what is now, basic functionality.

This IMO, perfectly explains FF languishing market share... (NB I prefer it to the other choices, but am frustrated by a number of things in the development)

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I just tried a fresh install of Firefox by deleting the old app and downloading 59.0.2 from the Firefox website. I got the same trojan warning:
firefox59_trojan.jpg

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
OK - tried it on another Mac and got the same warning. I suspect the infection is in an add-on. I started Firefox and went to preferences to disable auto-updates (of Firefox and add-ons) but by the time I did this the add-ons were updating and one of them evidently had the Trojan. It was probably a Flash downloader add-on.

Reactions: star-affinity

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I am starting to believe FF has been the problem i have had with my macs. In youtube, while using my mini, sometimes the screen will go black even though the audio continues. in my MacPro, I believe FF graphics issues, causes an actual crash requiring me to do a hard S/D followed by a restart.
I am now shutting off hardware acceleration and will see if that helps. i also noticed that Firefox caused my mini temps to go to almost 80℃ vs 65℃ when using Safari all on the same pages. That is a pretty large difference in temps that FF is causing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.