Mozy and the iPhoto file - how is that handled?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chriskzoo, Aug 3, 2009.

1. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

(FYI - accidentally posted this in the Hardware section if a mod wants to delete that)

I just signed up for Mozy and noticed that because I am using iPhoto 8, my computer packages all the iPhoto files into one file, which Mozy uploads as that single file (15 GB in my case). When I add photos to iPhoto, does anyone know if Mozy will only incrementally backup that iPhoto file, or will it try to re-upload the entire 15GB?

I don't care so much about it being stored as 1 file, since I'll never access it unless it's an emergency, but I sure as heck don't want to wait for a 15+ GB upload (literally days) every time I add photos.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's because the iPhoto library is a container type file so it appears as a single file. Evidently the software is unaware of such file types for the Mac and assumes its just one big honkin file. If that is infact the case, it will always try to upload the entire library when ever you make a change.

I suggest you contact the support folks at mozy and explain your situation. They'll probably need to update their software.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It should upload the entire file over and over again because it is still just one file as far as any uploader can tell.