Mozy - Anyone have the current .dmg version?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by coolbreeze, Jan 1, 2008.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

It's not on Mozy's site.

https://mozy.com/account/download

I had to uninstall the client tonight b/c it froze on the "updating" screen for hours. Never finished.

Went to re-download the Mozy.app from their site and it doesn't exist. :mad:

Does anyone have the current version? I have 26 gigs I need to have backed up by next week...it would be wise to start tonight.

First hiccup I've had with Mozy..and it is a show stopper.

2. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Same thing happening to me, freezes on updating screen or the download never finishes, happening on two machines running 10.4.11. I did update to their latest version but still no fix. Did you get yours working?

3. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Been emailing and getting their standard we're working on the problem response. I figure I can't be the only one having problems with Mac Mozy. Maybe it's time for a phonecall.

4. pprior macrumors 65816

Mac Mozy has been a disaster for me. I'm a paid subscriber but haven't been able to use it for months. The latest version never updates since Leopard (loses connection over and over) and there's a memory leak with the mozy watch application - routinely find it using more than a gig of ram.

They've been promising an update for months, and I'm pretty much giving up on them. Would strongly advise anyone checking this out to try before you buy....

5. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Yeah, I'm of the same opinion - I'm a paid subscriber too. I used to cheerlead for them because it worked well under WinXP and initially under OS X 10.4 but in the last few months my backups always fail. When I do a restore there's always files that won't restore so it's become a false sense of security.

I'm getting tired of all the beta updates that don't work so I won't be renewing my subscription either. Too bad as there's no other easy online backup solution for Mac.

6. Evader macrumors newbie

7. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I've considered but I have 100+ Gigs of stock photos that I currently back up to multiple external hard drives. Amazon S3 starts getting expensive and from what I've read it doesn't have incremental backup capability.

8. pprior macrumors 65816

I too am at 100+GB of photos, maybe mozy is purposefully screwing us high capacity users to get us to leave...

I was a carbonite user on the PC and it worked GREAT! mozy was the first to come out with a mac version so I jumped on board. I shouldn't have. If carbonite gets a mac version (please go and request one!) then I'll definitely go back to them as they were always very stable.

9. jeremy6044 macrumors regular

also switched from carbonite to mozy when i got a mac recently. like others, i had no problems with carbonite ever. it was smooth on xp and seemed to take up less resources. but then again, they've been promising a mac version for well over a year now and they keep pushing it off. they don't seem to be serious about putting out a mac version, they didn't seem to want to keep me as a customer when asked them about a mac version and mentioned i was switching. and my thinking is that when they finally do come out with a mac version, it'll be in early beta while mozy will have plenty of experience on macs.

that said, my mozy program has had some problems. but it seems to be working okay now. i wish it had the little dots like carbonite, and that it took up less resources (seems to really run the cpu when backing up!) as well. but i do like the fact that you can pay monthly instead of having to pay yearly. and their customer support has been friendly and willing to address problems.

at this point, i'll stick with mozy. and i'm just really hoping that future updates will really improve the interface and operation of the program.

10. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

11. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

How many Gigs have you backed up, try doing a number of restores. So 0.7 works for you? That worked for me too. Since going to 0.9 my backup has problems.

12. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

The 1.8 GB backup on my iBook, using my work's better Internet connection, worked flawlessly. On my iMac at home, using a cable modem, it was going at an ok clip when I went to bed. In the morning it had stopped the backup. I'm not sure if 50 GB is too much.

But those are both using the older version of the client, instead of the new one.

13. treediddy macrumors newbie

No luck either with Mozy

Add me to the list of those who jumped too fast to an annual Mozy subscription, only to find out it wasn't working for me as advertised. I haven't been able to complete a back-up for months. I was beginning to think my problems might be tied to my ISP (Comcast), but after seeing these threads I'm less inclined to think that. I'm using Mac OS 10.4.11 on an Intel iMac.

14. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

One thing that I noticed, with the older 0.7.0 version of Mozy, is that when I was trying to backup files at home, it had a progress indicator for "Preparing" files (probably calculating MD5 or SHA1 hashes or something), and a progress indicator for uploading, and it didn't look like it was doing both simultaneously. Like, it would prep a file A, upload file A, prep file B, upload file B, whereas one would expect it to prep later files concurrently to uploading previously prepped files.

15. quentinsf macrumors newbie

Same here

I've found Mac Mozy to be almost really good, and in fact unusable, mostly because of its memory usage. And I'm on a machine with 2G RAM, though I am trying to back up rather a lot!

Sadly, I too paid the annual subscription and used it for a month or two before discovering the problems.

16. randomlinh macrumors newbie

It disappoints me that they can't get their updater working properly.. I never know when a new update is coming up. I'm torn right now on whether to go w/ Mozy or S3 (via jungledisk or the like). I'm only at 15GB or so of photos, and have no video yet really. But in the long run, it's going to get really costly :(

My main concern is Mozy's $5/mo unlimited just doesn't sound like a feasible business model. Then again, google has upped free email to 6GB+.... And EMC did buy Mozy.

17. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Mac Mozy is a false sense of security

Since I have 80+GB backed up, Amazon S3 is too costly for me.

The price of external hard drives have come down and I own 3 1TB drives that mirror each other. I swap one off-site every week - I'm sure most people have parents/friends/$30 safety deposit box close by that they can do the same with.

What troubles me most about Mozy is the false sense of security you get. I've had many reported successful backups in the past but when it comes to restore it sucks. Most of my restores have files that fail - who knows when it will be a file that you need.

They've been in Beta for a long time and this restore problem has never been fixed. I didn't notice when I only had a 2GB free account but since paying the annual fee and backing up more files I started doing random restores to test file integrity. If you have a couple of GB's backed up try doing a couple hundred MB restore and you'll see what I mean.

18. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Has anyone tried the newest version of the client, which just got released?

19. jeremy6044 macrumors regular

shouldn't mozy have an automatic update functionality? are we supposed to install it manually every time they update the software?

20. pprior macrumors 65816

It still doesn't work on my machine - getting timeout/connection to server errors.

and yes, it should, but doesn't on my machine.

Pathetic mac support continues...

21. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

They do have an update feature. But it prompts you first, and I'm waiting to update until I hear some good news.

22. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Have you tried testing your files by restoring say 500MB of your 1.8GB? I'm using the latest version on both my iMac and MBP and still have problems completing a backup and restoring all files.

23. michaeleherman macrumors newbie

Mozy problems

I have tried Mozy for the last 3 weeks and have been unable to get a single backup completed. We use our Mac in fast user-switching mode and it appears that Mozy is unable to run in the background when another user is using the computer. Also, the disconnects under Leopard make it unusable. I'm glad I subscribed to the month-by-month plan as I'll be canceling my account after this post.