Mozy Backup Service.... Or Should i Say Poor Service

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Oct 4, 2003
New York
Dane - Thanks for giving us a second chance. As you heard from our support team, we're sending a new DVD and doing several other things to make sure you're happy. I apologize publicly for letting the situation get to this point. We're working hard to put things right.

Vance Checketts
COO & VP of Products
Mozy
Can you comment on the bug where custom keys do not work at all? Will this be corrected?

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68020
Feb 11, 2007
Can you comment on the bug where custom keys do not work at all? Will this be corrected?
Yes agreed. I didn't contact support since I canceled my account and uninstalled Mozy. I do not want to reinstall just to test custom keys unless people report they work now...

eenu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
Yes agreed. I didn't contact support since I canceled my account and uninstalled Mozy. I do not want to reinstall just to test custom keys unless people report they work now...
funny i am sure i made a post.... in fact the last response i made here saying it works and how to ensure it works :rolleyes:

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
You can use Jungle Disk on all platforms...... i don't think it is as easy as Mozys client but its not hard and it works :)
I was just checking this out, looks like a good deal. Is this more popular than I am aware of? Apparently it just came out of beta.

It doesn't have incremental backups but it says it's planned for a future version

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Oct 4, 2003
New York
*Mods please leave this as it requires a fresh post*

The issue i have highlighted is resolved. Before you enter the decrypt process the .dmg file needs to be mounted. Then you select this mounted file as the source and choose a destination of your choice. This will now work.

As i said to Tyler and Vance they have my custom again. I'll make a point of saying they only have it thanks to the way they have both handled things. It's been really commendable the way tyler emailed me directly to say sorry for their support staff and the way vance posted here on mac rumors, for that i thank them both.

As a result they have now got me back as a monthly customer and i hope this issue will highlight shortcomings in their support staff/service and that this will improve over time.

Tyler, Vance.... thanks again!
Somehow I missed this too. Thank you for looking into it. I'm glad Mozy worked it out, as I was sure it would.

I would like to also use a custom key -- but i have all my data backed up with their key. Can i change the key without re-backing up everything?

eenu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
Can i change the key without re-backing up everything?
Nope you need to delete that data via your account page and then do the whole process again with a custom key.

I don't know when you uploaded your initial data but its a lot quicker now than it was when MR announced it

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68020
Feb 11, 2007
funny i am sure i made a post.... in fact the last response i made here saying it works and how to ensure it works :rolleyes:
Great. But I am not using a Mac, so your fix doesn't work for me. Thanks though.

tarasp

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
Mozy sucks! Beware if you have lots of data with them

Well, now I take back what I said about Mozy customer service having good service after having dealt with 2 different people on email and 1 other using their live chat. Not only do they give you canned responses without reading your issue thoroughly but it's wrong and contradicts each other (thanks guys). Very frustrating.

I had a problem with my 100+GB backed up (should note that I have been using Mozy for few months prior and had no problems). Was syncing and it stalled with no progress for hours and had to reinstall client on WinXP. Kept getting AccountError5 (that is, Mozy client didn't recognize that I'm using SAME machine to backup and no data files have been modified).

Was told to delete my account and immediately reinstall client and resync will happen without losing data. WRONG! Deleting your account immediately causes data to be deleted so now I'm uploading 100+GB again. :eek:

Basically, their free 2GB account is good but don't trust them if you have over 2GB and you're not a large corporate account as you'll find their support and offering lacking. Unfortunately I now know why others write about the false sense of security they have using Mozy Unlimited to backup their files and the custom key fiasco. Online backup is obviously a very new area and fraught with problems, guess I'll have to rely on my Terabyte drives a bit longer. :mad:

todayangle

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2008
I Concur Completely!

Mozy is not ready for prime time and they probably never will be. Beyond poor customer service that responds in 4 to 7 days (if at all), their software is very buggy and backed up my stuff about 60% of the time. I moved to JungleDisk and am VERY much satisfied.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68020
Feb 11, 2007
Mozy is not ready for prime time and they probably never will be. Beyond poor customer service that responds in 4 to 7 days (if at all), their software is very buggy and backed up my stuff about 60% of the time. I moved to JungleDisk and am VERY much satisfied.
That's what everyone says... several friends using JungleDisk now which all say works perfectly.

snoopymac

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
Same Mozy Encryption Problem With Windows!

I tried Mozy as well on my windows computers. As a test, I backed-up my desktop, and then to replicate a catastrophic failure I tried restoring to my laptop. Result? Could NOT get any files to restore to my laptop, but I could get them to restore to my existing desktop. The files would download from Mozy, but they were never usable (I think the decryption just doesn't work). Hardly useful as backups go, and I would NOT trust Mozy as your sole backup solution at all.

I therefore uninstalled Mozy and stopped using it...

Regarding Amazon S3, do they have a simple backup application like Mozy et al. services?
I have exactly the same problem.

Contacted Mozy several times, including chat, but without success.

Using your own encryption key, the files restore correctly ONLY on the computer where the backup was taken. This is because the restore software decrypts the files using the private encryption key somewhere hidden on disk.

However, restoring on another computer, using the mozy decryption software MozyDecrypt-1_6_0_2.exe, fails in every way.

So, if my computer crashes, the Mozy backup is worthless.

jeremy6044

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2007
I just want to say, for anyone thinking of choosing Mozy, don't! I used to use Carbonite when I had a PC, and they were great. Then I switched to a Mac, and Carbonite kept delaying their Mac beta. So I chose Mozy. I've been using them for months, and as long as you don't have to interact with them, they're fine.

However, if you have a problem, and that's what this service is all about...for dealing with problems that arise..then good luck. Mozy home service doesn't have phone support! Can you believe that? If you have a problem, you have to wait days and days for email response (and I've waited weeks, no joke). You can't talk to anyone on the phone. I thought they used to have chat service, but either they got rid of it for home users or else they never had it to begin with and I was confusing it with another customer service program.

Anyway, my Mozy program stopped working 48 days ago, and I've had three or four email responses from tech support telling me to reinstall the program. Which I did, and it didn't help. That's all the service I got. The program just says "Scanning for files" and stays that way. Not that they care. They don't care at all. Goodbye Mozy.

My advice is to not use their service if you're looking for a company to be responsible for the protection of your data.