mozy - not impressed yet...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rroonnbb, Sep 15, 2007.

1. rroonnbb macrumors newbie

After all the gushing press that Mozy has received I figured it was worth checking it out. Did some limited testing with the free version and it seemed okay so I went ahead and paid the $$$ for the unlimited backup version. But I'm not having much luck with actually getting everything to actually back up to their servers. Admittedly I've specified a lot of data - about 200GB between my MacPro and my Macbook - but after several weeks I'm still waiting for a full backup on the Macpro (where most of that data resides) to complete. Just back from a 2-week trip overseas where I left my machine running the entire time and had expected it to be done by the time I got back but it was just sitting there not much further than when I left. Extremely frustrating.

And this is after they updated their beta software and everything that HAD been backed up previously (everything from my Macbook) was removed and I had to re-backup things.

Not all that impressed with their support either - I sent off a long email that was primarily some suggestions and a few questions and never received anything other than autoresponder acknowledgement. I'm sure they get a fair amount of mail but seriously, if I take the time to compose something reasonably lengthy it would be nice to get SOME kind of reply.

Has anybody else had problems getting Mozy to actually complete a backup? I know that the software is in Beta so I'm willing to cut them some slack but it's now been in beta for quite a while... when will this be 'real' software than I can rely on?

-r

2. rroonnbb thread starter macrumors newbie

3. rroonnbb thread starter macrumors newbie

So does nobody else use mozy or...

So does nobody else use mozy or is it just working fine for everybody?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What I've read is pretty much in keeping with your experience. It seems like, perhaps, it's well suited to a few gigs of data at most. 200GB does not seem like something this system is truly capable of. Besides, why are you willing to leave your machine on for two weeks unused for the purposes of making a backup?

I'd say just get an external FW drive like the rest of us. Get a 500+GB one and back everything up onto it quite happily. In hours. If you want the backup web accessible, you're probably better off setting up an Internet Airdisk or something like that than trying to upload your files to network backup, since this way you get fast intranet upload speeds as well as relatively fast internet download speeds.

5. martin1000 macrumors regular

I've actually been pretty pleased with my Mozy experience. I backed up around 50-60GB data. It took about 4-5 days.

I was running into an issue early on, that whenever my iMac would go to sleep, Mozy would stop running. I had to uncheck in system preferences where it says shut off your hard drive whenever the system can. (In the same area as the sleep preferences I believe.)

I also had a good experience retrieving a file from them.

No worries yet for me.

Good luck.

6. rroonnbb thread starter macrumors newbie

I do backups to hard-drives periodically too but the real beauty, at least in concept, with something like Mozy is that it's constantly backing things up as they change without having to do anything explicit. Once the bulk of your data is mirrored somewhere then it's just spitting small incremental files to the remote server. So theoretically something I did only a few hours ago will be safely backed up. Both of my systems are running pretty constantly anyway so it's generally not a big deal although I agree that normally I would have turned the Macpro off for the 2 weeks I was out of town had I not been thinking it would do its backup...

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, that makes sense. Something like what Time Machine is supposed to ultimately offer. And better than, say, the fact that I lose a whole week if my hard drive were to fail under my current system.

8. rroonnbb thread starter macrumors newbie

or if your house burns down :)

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What if their house burns down? :D

Seriously, a good point. Web-based backup someday will probably be *the* way for consumers. Just doesn't seem quite ready.