Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Need a bit of advise here....my 1st Gen Dual Xeon 2.66 is still running strong but I'm just itching to upgrade but don't have a huge budget. If I was to upgrade to the new single quad core chip 2.8, would I notice much difference (or any difference) in performance will normal use...saying RAM, etc was all the same? Just didn't know if architecture will make a huge gain or not. Or should I just go get an SSD and throw in the 1.1? Thanks in advance.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Need a bit of advise here....my 1st Gen Dual Xeon 2.66 is still running strong but I'm just itching to upgrade but don't have a huge budget. If I was to upgrade to the new single quad core chip 2.8, would I notice much difference (or any difference) in performance will normal use...saying RAM, etc was all the same? Just didn't know if architecture will make a huge gain or not. Or should I just go get an SSD and throw in the 1.1? Thanks in advance.

It depends on what you use it for, but in general the current model would be massive boost in just about every benchmark you care to mention.

I upgraded my 1,1 to 8 cores/12 GB and a 5770 and the difference in handbrake and games was night/day. The whole upgrade cost me about $500 bucks (two ES XEONs on eBay, ram on eBay and flashed a PV 5770)

The current gen has a much faster architecture (RAM, FSB) and the CPUs are much better clock for clock.

mtadilli

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2014
milan
Hello there

can you get me please the best cpu for my mac pro 1,1 2 x 2,66 ghz ?
im confuse about it

thanks

Martin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.