MP 1,1-as satellite?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by cscotto, Dec 16, 2013.

1. cscotto macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I would like some ideas about some possible uses for a MP 1,1 as a companion machine for my MP 5,1. I use Logic Pro X, which is why I bought a 5,1 and thought I was retiring my 1,1. I have successfully upgraded the 1,1 to 10.9.1 using Tiamo's new efi file. I don't really want to sell the machine since the firewire ports on the front do not work. I would rather keep it as a backup. And now that I have 10.9.1 running on it, I thought it be useful as an addition to my main machine. Of course, before Apple nixed the node function in Logic X that is what I would have used it for. Besides Logic Pro, I also use NI Komplete, UAD Plugins, and various other audio software. I thought I could use the 1,1 as a big software synth with the NI software and connect the machines via ADAT cable. So, how would you make the best use of the 1,1 in a studio situation? Thanks in advance.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

You do know that the old MP could be replaced Mini. The Mini would be faster and burn less power.

One use for the MP is as a File Server, a NAS. Put some big dis drives in it, turn on software RAID and share the large volume over the network. If you wanted a really hie NAS system you could load FreeNAS over top of Mac OS X and have an enterprise quality NAS.

If you wanted to use it as a Mac computer then maybe you have a MIDI keyboard and you could load the virtual instruments into the old Mac and send them as audio to Logic but that is a wast of a computer becsue you want the MIDI data inside Logic. I'd want the Midi so I could change the settings on any virtual instruments later.

I'd build a high-end NAS out of the box