MP 1,1 Multiple issues

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Eaton Photos, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2010
    Hi Everyone,

I'm having some issues with my month old Mac Pro, that I purchased from its Original owner.

Here are the issues:

First issue that I cannot figure out, is that the Displays will go to sleep, then wake up almost immediately on their own. Its a repetitive cycle. It happens throughout the day & night.

Example: If I physically turn the displays off, then the issue is moot, but if I let them fall asleep on their own, then the cycle begins, over & over again. I used the search function, but nothing turned up, that resembled the issue I am having.

I would prefer to avoid taking it to an Apple Repair Center, unless it is something that I cannot rectify on my own.

The second issue, is this morning (27 Aug. 2010) when I went to use my programs that I leave up overnight (in this case, they were Firefox & Photoshop). I could access them, but nothing else (FF, would not refresh pages, PS I could not use any tools or access the History on open files). I was able to close FF via Command Q, but I could not close PS, as I could not access the Do Not Save buttons, when the close dialogue came up. So I shut the tower down via the button on the front panel. When I started the tower back up, the tower booted (ram lights all came on), and then there was this constant clicking noise emitting from within the tower. I opened the case up, listening for the noise and it was coming from the bottom, but not the HDD bays.. Once the login screen came up, I could not log into my acct. So I pressed the power button again, and then let the tower sit for a moment, and restarted it. This time, the clicking noise was there, but it was very brief & almost inaudible, and then I was able to log into my acct, and the home screen loaded. Since then the tower has been up & running as normal, but the screens won't go to sleep. (I have the sleep feature enabled @ 3 minutes).

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
  2. holyjohn macrumors regular

Jun 21, 2010
    I once had that problem on my 2006 MP, too.

Try to run Disk Utility (found in Application, Utilities folder) and repair/recover the booting hard disk. My problem went away when I formatted the hard disk and re-installed OSX. I don't know about other solution to that... someone might be able to come up with a better solution.