MP 1,1 Repair or Replace Logic Board?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by palmanew2mac, Sep 20, 2010.

1. palmanew2mac macrumors newbie

My Mac Pro 1,1 has been diagnosed to replace the main logic board at a cost of just over $600. Is there a reliable place to send the logic board for repair? Or should I spend the $600 on a refurbed board or sell it and replace it?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd not spend the 600 bucks, instead upgrade to a newer model. Even a MacBook would be a step up in performance at this point and the cost difference between the MB and the repair isn't that great.

Personally the 13" MBP is a nice machine, but if you want power/performance the i5 based MBP is hard to pass up

Edit, Misread the OP, perhaps spending 600 bucks is cheaper then getting a new MacPro. Still new and shiny is tough to beat ;)

3. yoink macrumors member

yoink

I disagree. $600 to keep a machine, with far more connectivity, running isn't very much.

If you have any PCIe cards like video i/o or audio AES audio i/o then those other machines simply won't do. It's a big jump up to even the baseline 2010 Mac Pro.

The other question is, was the machine satisfying your requirements at the time of the failure? If so then $600 again is the most affordable solution.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oops,
    I mis read the OP. I thought he had a MBP 1,1 not a Mac Pro. (i'm using forumspy so I didn't notice the forum this was posted in).

That certainly changes things and I'll change my vote ;)

5. yoink macrumors member

yoink

That makes sense then, I would certainly agree with you in that case! :)

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Will a Mac Pro 2,1 logic board work in there? or even 3,1 (but that would also require new CPUs)? If so, you can look at it as an upgrade.

Whether you end up fixing it and then selling it really depends on:

1. How much disposable cash you have on hand.
    2. What kind of deals you can find on a replacement.
    3. Whether the Mac Pro doing everything you needed it to do efficiently.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

1,1 and 2,1 systems used the same board. All that actually changed, was they offered the first Quad core CPU's, which allowed for the first Octad systems.

3,1 was a different board (different chipset needed to handle 1600FSB), and different processors were offered for all models (54xx parts).

There's some contention as to whether or not the 3,1 board (2008) would fit the internals of a 06/07 case due to a possible shift in DIMM slot locations (may require a different cover, and could cause problems with the front fan assembly). As I don't have both 06 and 08 systems on hand to compare, I can't be sure one way or the other (no way to get measurements, and unwilling to try and hunt down the internal case P/N's).

8. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

A Mac Pro 1,1 can still be faster than anything but am i7 iMac or a new Mac Pro. As far as the other iMacs or laptops are concerned, a 2006 Mac Pro is still a superior choice in a stationary workstation.

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I'm not positive, but I think there were some subtle difference between 1,1 and 2,1 other than just the CPUs. Unfortunately, my memory is failing me and I can't remember exactly what the differences were... I do know, however, that the 1,1 and 2,1 had different part numbers. (The Memory Riser cards for the two models were the same part number)

In regards to 3,1 I forgot about the different ways the Memory Riser cards mounted... So, a 3,1 logic board will not fit in a Mac Pro 1,1's case without further mods.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Nothing comes to mind, as there's even posts here where 1,1 system owners picked up the 53xx Quad core CPU's and dropped them into the existing system without issue (may be some stepping issues to be aware of, such as with the 2008 systems).

For those, there were a couple of different board P/N's for the different power ratings (i.e. one board for 2.8 and 3.0GHz models, a separate one used for the 3.2GHz models). But the boards used in the 2.8 and 3.0 models have been used successfully for faster parts IIRC.

I didn't recall/notice a difference either (only had pics to compare in the past, not both systems to make a side by side comparison). :eek:

11. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

If I recall, I believe the 1,1 and 2,1 Mac Pro Memory Riser boards both faced up (DIMMs on top). The 3,1 has the top Memory Riser board upside down where the DIMMs faced down.