Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clay man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2018
I'm new to this forum, and not terribly tech savvy (I know what I've needed to know to get by).

I have a 1,1, 2 x 2.66 dual-core, running 10.7.5 that I bought many years ago loaded with music and graphic production software. I've used it primarily for music production, and it has served me pretty well. I knew that it was getting on in years and was struggling with some of the more intensive projects that I was working on, but it seemed to be mostly a RAM issue. At some point, without any changes in software or configuration that I could pinpoint, I started getting the random total freeze thing. Nothing you can do but to hold the power button. I researched and tried what I could find, but I didn't find much and nothing worked. I probably should have tried here earlier, but it wasn't on my radar. Often, when it would freeze, it would freeze many more times pretty quickly after reboot, and then without reason it would run fine for the rest of the session. Every once in a while I would get a kernal panic like this:
dR-m__wOYcknVf_g6pb44Esf_yHh2yySJk6LS7eGAnLr1QjgC8QG1LQMpf7gjxq-sxJMVYGllbuRtp3M_2DYeERhkesKUdIpJzNCJLhI4Jptbh27DYKEBxCB7Ky_thw6p2zplxgDxy96ipEnCeGR4mohBdkzXWnQxqzl0OrHcFgBH6EY413K1wogl3m4hIhnfBt8g5LgvdQKDRfw2oI3gnAeNAJwzeqbfOFE4vFnWDxWwrKetX1GCTYSH2_rFoy3Kl3nzxpJ6OdZtjyKhc-aJGJqhjaC6aGWW7nK_m3s0fwy9I4KMLVe4OxiMgArB_9e_3vnqZ_EPclp3RqthkxsYTWZEsFLRijGfjImdaSGo6c7IPK28lkiYCq9IYvtchx86of04vI1ZGYfOcMYTMQ89nuk9DE6xao26S-sD-xsbJWcQDhkKpa0Y_UhiE_8u37lO_UN99nvsYto3y7e-LebTAoi21ZNtlkM-YWN5DJKRJ5TGYcGWDH_hSPCzDL1z43_TY8RSha96zRqnRLn1pKsJwO23uwyxSzRNXvZPOg28WETAs3ACkBSgN8iDJch_6gFCb8oPnM7C6ZWkqyxD3tCTrbLtOsqIl0qMlE7X6yl=w983-h737-no

I don't know what it means. Any insight is appreciated.

Knowing that I needed to upgrade the RAM anyway, I did, and maxed it out. When it's running, it's a beautiful thing, but I still got the freezing crash. As a layperson, I started thinking of replacing HD's, knowing that they're transferable/reusable. I don't have a huge budget, I just want to be able to make and produce music, and keep a desktop in the Apple ecosystem, and hopefully keep all of the software that I've inherited/added. But the freezing has been so disheartening and stifling, that I've quit trying. I barely have time to work on music, and I definitely don't have the time for extensive troubleshooting on stuff that I know very little about.

Keeping that all in mind, I decided that the logical thing to do is to go shopping on Ebay for a newer old Mac Pro. Theoretically, I could up my CPU and graphics card specs, inherit a larger HD, the ability to use newer (and supported) OS (though it looks like that might not be a good thing), and with time machine and migration assistant I can keep mostly just plug in and pick up where I left off. That sounds too simple and easy to be true. But, I've started looking around. It looks like I can get a decent upgrade for $500 or less, which is probably all that I could justify.

Any recommendations on overall approach, models/specs to seek/avoid, OS concerns, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

clay man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2018
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7983233

Google the problem and there's a couple threads on Apple support forums

Yeah, I've spent a lot of time googling and reviewing those types of posts on Apple support. I was tipped off by a friend that he had a similar situation a few times due to a nearly maxed out Mac system drive, which might be true of mine.

Either way, I'm more interested in rec's for looking at moving into a relatively newer MP in my budget versus investing heavily in the 1,1.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Yeah, I've spent a lot of time googling and reviewing those types of posts on Apple support. I was tipped off by a friend that he had a similar situation a few times due to a nearly maxed out Mac system drive, which might be true of mine.

Either way, I'm more interested in rec's for looking at moving into a relatively newer MP in my budget versus investing heavily in the 1,1.

My post in the other thread

Here's where I sit right now

Tower................$247....shipped
W3690...............$115...shipped
24GB DDR3 ECC...$67....shipped
OSX WiFi/BT card.$140....shipped
128 MBA SSD......$119....shipped
Sintech adapter ..$19....shipped
BlueRay..............$52....shipped

That's $759 plus some cables to power the RX480 I pulled from my PC. I also pulled a 1TB, 2@2TB, 4TB and 250GB SSD.

SamirPD

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2018
HSV CHI
I'm not a Mac person, but know a bunch about PCs. I recently had to migrate my wife from a 2011 Macbook to a newer one and it was a piece of cake! I think you could easily just new some new hardware and then migrate over.

But I'm pretty sure you could even just skip the migration completely by just removing your existing hard drive and replacing the one in the new system, boot up and pick up right where you left off.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
To me that looks like a cpu3 kernel panic. Why don't you just try a new CPU in your current oMP (old Mac Pro), back up your data, and go for a complete re-install of el capt. New CPU is around 30 bucks for maxed out CPUs for your oMP.

; )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.