MP 1333 mem - OWC already has 1333 imac mem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by xgman, Jul 28, 2010.

1. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I'm guessing that they will soon have 1333 Mac pro mem as well, so maybe we can save some config money without much of a longer wait.

The MP mem ecc prices will obviously be higher, but this imac mem may give some idea of the potential savings:

imac 1333 Kits are priced at $117.99, $279.99, and $549.99 for the 4 GB, 8 GB, and 16 GB packages.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mac Pro ain't available yet so there is no hurry

3. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

It isn't necessarily that much more expensive since the iMacs are SO-DIMM (Laptop RAM)

4. strausd macrumors 68030

Out of curiosity, is there a point where you can have too much RAM in a 12-core Mac Pro that will cause it to go down to 1066 speeds? I've heard of this happening on PCs, but not sure about the new MP.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Isn't that on an AM2+ Phenom?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

AFAIK, as long as all modules are 1333MHz, they won't be underclocked. If one module is 1066MHz, then all modules will operate at that speed. Haven't heard that too much RAM could cause that kind of issues, care to share a link?

7. strausd macrumors 68030

That's just what my friend told me and wasn't really sure. He didn't explain why it "happens" but said thats what happens with his PC if he goes over 4GB.

And I asked OWC if they had any idea when they will get the 1333 MHz RAM and they said in a week or two, but he didn't seem too sure. And they also didn't have an idea on price.

8. xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

The only problem with ordering minimum size ram in the MP configuration is that it may or may not be slightly different ram than OWC sells which should work fine together, but I'd rather avoid it if possible. You could probably buy all new ram and sell the stock pieces and still come out less than Apples upgrade charge.

9. PenguinMac macrumors member

Either your friend has a vivid imagination or is running 32-bit Windows which can't access more than 4GB (actually 3.3 or so). The first Intel Core i7's like in my Dell (see sig) have an on-chip memory controller that only runs at 1066, the latest i7's finally allow use of 1333 no matter how much memory you have.

10. mattbatt macrumors member

couldn't one just match specs up to PC ram? Newegg has 1333 mhz Ram, but they also have a 'mac memory' section.

Do I have to buy from the special 'mac memory' section? If I knew the voltage and exact specs, maybe I could just buy more generic PC ram?

And finally, if I go with the 6 core, anyone know where I could sell the stock 3 x 1GB dimms? I would need to buy 3 x 4GB, I'm guessing OWC will have it for around $500.

11. strausd macrumors 68030

OWC has a rebate program.

12. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Can you use the 1333 mem in the 1066 bus MP's? Just wondering.

13. strausd macrumors 68030

I think you can but then the RAM will be underclocked to 1066

14. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

The only other question I have about this is if Apple will refuse to service your computer if there is no longer the original Apple RAM.

If this isn't the case, then I'll definitely sell my stock RAM first chance I get.

15. strausd macrumors 68030

I'm pretty sure putting in different RAM won't void your warranty and you will be fine.

16. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

you can service the RAM on an iMac, a Mac Pro basically begs to be opened, RAM change doesn't invalidate warranty

17. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I know RAM is meant to be user-replaceable, as per stated in the manuals of all the Macs now (thanks to the new Mac Mini).

Just wanted to be absolutely sure and cover my bases on this one, just in case Apple needs the original RAM to be in there if they ever need to service the computer.

But thanks for the clarification.

18. Vylen macrumors 65816

People have previously said that it's generally a good idea to revert your machine back to the way you got it because there's no guarantee that your 3rd party parts such as cards will come back after you pass your machine to Apple.

I assume the same would apply to RAM.

Or is Apple less of a bastard these days?