MP 2.66 (2006) vs MP 2009

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bobbydaz, Mar 23, 2009.

1. bobbydaz macrumors regular

At my studio I am currently running a first gen MP 2.66 quad with 6.5g ram and wondering how much difference I would notice changing for a new 2.93 quad or 2.26 octo. Used mainly for graphic design so Photoshop, Quark, Illustrator etc. If the difference isn't that great would I better to spend some money on more ram and a bigger faster HD for my existing MP?

Alternatively I could purchase a 2009 MP and pass my MP onto one of our designers who is running a G5 2.5 dual. Would he notice much of a performance improvement?

Just trying to work out the most cost effective option in these tight times.

2. TrapOx macrumors 6502

It would only be 2-3x faster.

3. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

From a performance point of view, you'd both notice some improvement, although I don't think either of you would deem it to be earth-shattering. There's another factor to consider, though. That 2.5 GHz liquid-cooled G5 is almost certainly going to spring a leak and fall over at some stage. When (not if) this happens, you're going to suffer some lost productivity while you organise a replacement machine.

My instinct would be to retire the G5 in favour of your current machine and buy yourself the highest spec machine you can afford as a hedge against the future.

4. Fomaphone macrumors regular

before you do, though, would you mind running CineBench R10 on that dual 2.5ppc? that's what i upgraded from, and i must say i notice a HUGE difference in final cut pro, compressor, bridge (for illustrator tracing of images) for after effects, and photoshop, even though my new machine has less half a gig less RAM

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/cinebench.html

5. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Save some money and upgrade the 2.66 quad to a 3ghz octo. Get the chips used on ebay. I just did my 2ghz mac pro to a 2.33ghz. Fairly easy.

6. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

That's what I'm considering. Might be my spring project. :D

I have a quad 2.66 GHz Mac Pro (2x dual core chips = 4 cores total). I'd love to grab 2x 2.33 quad core chips.

Are you happy with the performance? Everything stable and working nice and cool? How's the temps?

7. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Here are some stats doing cinebench tests:

2.0 ghz quad
    render 1 cpu 2184
    multi cpu 7457
    open gl 2867

2.33 octo
    render 1 cpu 2534
    multi cpu 14834
    open gl 2867

2.8 octo 2008 mac pro
    render 1 cpu 3232
    multi cpu 18245
    open gl 6093

Temps rose a few degrees. I use smcfancontrol to control the fans. Got to this forum to see a few of us who has done this:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=661839 . So far so good. I use this mac pro for crunching data for world community grid and a media server. Did the upgrade on sunday so now cycling 200 hrs before running 24/7 (doing this according to artic silver recommendations).

8. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Upgrading the dual core processors in an early Mac Pro to quads will improve performance, but only in multi-threaded apps and so this doesn't appear to be particularly relevant in your case. To my mind, an upgrade like this should be of a far lower priority than dealing with the potential problems that a leaking G5 would cause to your business.

XLR8yourMac has an extensive archive regarding this issue. Some were replaced by Apple. Others were not. I was lucky!

This may help you to get your priorities right! :)