MP 2.8 Oct for games

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by multimania, Jan 12, 2008.

1. multimania macrumors member

Hi guys, I know that alot of people don't want to use their MP for games, but I want to give it a go as well!

Do you think a Oct 2.8 will be fast enough or is a 3gig + really going to improve frame rates. I am obviously going to put in the 8800 video card.

Many thanks

2. Mase macrumors newbie

if gaming is primary concern build a pc. The Mac Pro is a workstation, i think this has been mentioned more then once :). You would be wasting money as in you wouldn't be utilizing the power to its full extent.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Are you seriously asking if 8 cores will be fast enough? You won't see a difference between the 2.8 and 3.0

4. multimania thread starter macrumors member

No gaming isn't my primary concern. I am going to be using Logic Pro, CS3 and I want to learn Final Cut etc, so I really want an all in one machine which I can play Flight simulator with too (Love my flightsims!!) aaronw1986 that's what I wanted to hear, I just wondered if I would see much of a difference - I don't think I'd see £500 difference.

Its on order anyway. Do you guys know if I get vista for the pc side if i should be getting the 32 or 64 bit version.

Cheers

5. Mac.Jnr macrumors member

I was going to buy a MP for strictly gaming but luckily i decided not to. I bought an iMac and a gaming rig instead. To answer your question, octo will not improve your fame rates. Most games at the moment can't even take advantage of a quad core but they are beginning to. Most games are GPU dependant.

6. multimania thread starter macrumors member

So for your gaming rig, what vid card do you have and processor. Surely a 2.8 is going to be comparible?..

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

It depends on how much RAM you are gonna have in your machine...32 bit version of Windows can only recognize 3GB's of RAM...so go for 64 if you plan to have more than that.

8. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

If you buy Vista it comes with both. At least my Ultimate version did.

9. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I believe only Ultimate does...though the others you can pay a small fee to change it.

10. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

If you go/went for the Octo:

"While all editions of Windows Vista can support
    multiple core CPUs, only Windows Vista Business,
    Ultimate, and Enterprise can support dual processors."

http://preview.tinyurl.com/24nzur

So you'd probably be looking at a choice between
    Ultimate and Business if you want to use both CPUs.
    The Ultimate retail package (not the OEM version)
    apparently comes with both 32 and 64 bit versions.
    If you went for Vista Business, you could order a
    64-bit version here:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/38w66y

Not that I'd necessarily recommend installing any
    version of Vista ;)

11. AnotherPCGamer macrumors newbie

Go for a 3.2 system. The problem is simply that games do not use more than one core unless they are made to use them and 99% of the current games won't. So for ultimate speed you need the fasted single core machine and the fastest video card.

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Or use the $1600 that it costs to upgrade from 2.8 to 3.2 to build a gaming PC.

13. deathshrub macrumors 6502

If you are going to install Windows, your best bet would be to install XP 32-bit. Vista is not really ready for gaming prime time. It does support DX10, but you are likely to take a performance hit from Vista which will be more than any gain from DX10.

14. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You shouldn't have too much of a problem finding benchmarks that show the difference in frame rate you would get from .2GHz for any desired game. Comapring any core 2 duo processors of similar specs with different speed should be adequate for a reference.

15. Mac.Jnr macrumors member

^ Yeap!

My gaming rig is pretty solid. It might get raped in every aspect but at gaming it could hold it's own against the new MP. My rig is a Q6600 overclocked to 3.0ghz with a old 8800GTS 320mb card. When the new 9800's come out I'll upgrade. My 8800GTS is overkill for my screen's resolution, but when I upgrade to a 24" Monitor I might go SLI. Imagine SLI 9800GTX :)

Also going from 2.8 to 3.2 won't give you much of a boost in terms of frame rates.

I'd choose XP as it is proven that you sometimes get 10-15% advantage in fps over vista. Also XP is more stable. If you go XP, make sure you get XP Professional as it can use dual sockets.