MP 2.8 Octo or a refurb 3.0 Octo?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by yomibro, Feb 24, 2008.

1. yomibro macrumors regular

I have been waiting to purchase a new MP for the past 2 months, I was planning to go with the standard 2.8 Octo but last night I noticed at the Apple website that they had the refurb 3.0 Ghz dual quad core for $2499. The refurb unit had the 7300GT, 1 GB of memory and a single SD, looking for suggestions as to which one is the better buy? :confused:

2. thedommer macrumors regular

depends on what you are using it for....

that older ones is pretty damn sweet. but if your doing some crazy video the newer one might be better.

that one only has 1 gb ram. you need more than that. at least 2. 4 is ideal.

if your doing any gaming at all that one will suck. 8800GT is the best solution

3. zdobson macrumors 6502

Look at barefeats and some other posts on this forum. You'll see that the current standard octo is faster than the old one, plus uses much less power, and I believe I heard it runs quieter, too. Not to mention that it uses faster RAM and better video cards.

4. GotPro macrumors 6502

What he said.

Due to the increase in bus and memory speeds, even the SINGLE CPU 2.8 will beat out the old QUAD 3.0 in every phase (almost)... and for gaming, it beats it like a bad step child (Esp. with the 8800) :apple:

5. yomibro thread starter macrumors regular

I don't plan to play games on this system, have a PS2, PS3 and Wii for that already. This will be the second Mac that I will own, the last one was a SE30.:p After reading through barefeats I am going to stick with the new technology instead, thanks for all your replies.