MP 2.8 Octo - Slow redraw scrolling in folders

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by multimania, Mar 20, 2009.

1. multimania macrumors member

I've been trying to work out why in my applications folder scrolling stutters when it first loads. Is it to do with the number of applications i have in there (i have alot!)

Also when I minimize windows normally animates smoothly, but sometimes after it's choppy and I can't work out what triggers it. Could it be my 8800GT?

Cheers

2. sboerup macrumors 6502

Mine is the same way, but only in the Applications folder. All other scrolling in any other Finder window is fine, but the Applications folder takes about 2 seconds for it to be fast.

3. multimania thread starter macrumors member

Yes it's just in the apps folder - thanks for confirming.

Anyone have any ideas on the stuttered genie minimise!?

4. Abidubi macrumors 6502

It's probably just your hardrive. As it gets filled up it gets slower. If you have a lot of files in a folder, it's got to grab all the info about them so it tends to stutter. If your HD wasn't being used for a while and it has spun down, there will be a 2-5 second pause as it spins back up.

If you want it to be smoother

A) Keep the used space on the drive small.

B) Buy more drives and put them in a raid 0

C) Tell the HD not to sleep (but I wouldn't)

D) Never close a folder window...

5. sboerup macrumors 6502

Trust me, its NOT the HD. Like I mentioned, everything is lightning fast EXCEPT for the Applications folder. Thats the only folder that is slow to open and browse. Not that it's a big inconvenience, but I'm curious as to why . . .

6. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Silky smooth on this MP with 8800GT.