MP 2008 for Christmas___what to look out for?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VanneDC, Dec 25, 2010.

1. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

Hi all,

first of all, merry christmas everyone. :) hope everyones festive season is safe.

My bestest little wifey got me a Refurbed Early 2008 Mac Pro for christmas and it arrived yesterday. Its in great condition with no marks what so ever on the outside and pretty much spick and span on the inside. (no doubt apple inc would have cleaned it before posting it out.)

at any rate, specs below:

2 x quad 2.8ghz
    12 GB ram
    500GB drive
    8800GT
    airport extreme
    Apple Bluetooth
    2x dual layer super drives

Now i am just wondering if there are any design faults with this puppy, or what i should keep an eye out for. Its still in Applecare, so thats good.

Ill be using this puppy mostly for my own Studio, with my wacom Cintiq UX and apple 20 inch cinema display.

apps will be Photoshop, Sketchbook Pro, and a few animation packages. and ofcourse on the windows7 side, ill be playing a few games like Starcraft2, Steam games like L4D et al, and Diablo3 when released. etc.

In that regard, ill be setting up my Cintiq as my secondary display, not primary.

cant believe my little wifey got this for me as a pressie (as she doesnt know much about computers), but must have heard / or spied me keeping an eye out on all the macpro's on ebay.

I had a 1,1 macpro 2x2.66 about a year ago, but sold it due to not being that nice to use in win7 and it had a few issues with shutting down un-announced. I never used my Cintiq with my mac pro 1,1 as i had a 4890 in there and had sooo many dramas updating OSX.. so in the end just got rid of it and went back to my Quadro powered G5 Quad.

(should change my sig :)

so at any rate, are there any issues i should look out for?

How long should the 2008 macpro still last me? and how much better are the new Macpro's... Not that i can afford one of those puppies.... :)

anyways, merry christmas to one and all.
    (shouldave seen me unwrappin my :apple: pressie :)

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I have the same MP. I know of now glaring problems with the 2008. I would just make sure everything works. If it has applecare, I wouldn't worry too much.

I would check to make sure the ram is arranged correctly, see if its apple branded ram, and then have some fun!

On how long it would last, I would say it depends on what you do. But software hasn't kept up with the core count. Also you have a 64bit supported apple product, so apple not supporting it in future OS releases are slim.

Good luck!

3. dimme macrumors 65816

I have the same machine but with 6GB of ram I am going to upgrade it to 10 and also getting a ATI 5770 card.
    You got a great machine there and I think you will be happy for years to come. If anything you could look at a new video card to future proof your self but the 8800 Gt is not bad.

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

That machine, barring no failure, should be good for at least 6 more years, depending on your usage.