MP 2008 new buyers,...OWC Certified/Qualified

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by WoOdPiPeS, Jan 16, 2008.

1. WoOdPiPeS macrumors member

Hi there,
    I'm new on mac, and out of the states,... but I'm considering to buy OWC ram for my new MP^(much cheaper than here in Europe).
    Is there any person who tried both? (certified and qualified) for a casual? Can anyone recommend the cheaper one for sampling and video editing?
    I see the price and phisical differences, but I couldn't find any comparision on the web...

Thanks in advance,

WP

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Frankly, any RAM you buy from OWC (who are a great company) is going to be 100% satisfactory in the machines for which they recommend it, so I'd go for the cheaper option every time.

3. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

that's what i did. and it finally shipped earlier tonight...

4. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all, but one more question.
    Do you know if the price differences is only for the thermal sink, or may be a different ram modules too...

WP

5. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

It's more than the heat sink. The cheaper "Qualified" is custom made for OWC and tested in their lab. The more expensive "Certified" is purchased wholesale from a third party and resold.

The president of OWC assures me that the cheaper Qualified is top quality. Both go through the same Apple certified test setup.

I ordered 16GB (8 x 2GB) of the Qualified for my 3.2GHz Mac Pro "2008"

6. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

i read a lot of people saying that the Netlist 'Certified' RAM gets very hot, and the 'Qualified' is preferred. With the Certified being more expensive i guess we automatically assume it must be better, but from what the guys at OWC say the 'Qualified' is the better one to go for, though maybe they have a higher profit margin on their own product.

Either way i just ordered 8x 2GB 'Qualified' from them, their heatsinks look the exact same design as the ones Apple use, so from what i've read and seen i figure best to go with them, and a bit cheaper too, though i don't know if that slight difference should be a factor when customizing a $4000 Mac Pro.

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I'm running 8GB of the Qualified OWC for my Mac Pro 2006. I originally back in March tried the Netlist RAM.....I had lots of overheating problems. Back then, I went with Crucial, which had the similar style Apple heatsinks. Haven't had a problem with the Crucial.

Recently because prices have dropped I figured I'd try the OWC ram again. I ordered 4 x 2GB from OWC of the Qualified RAM. The heatsinks are almost identical to the Apple heatsinks (although not exactly). I haven't had any problems so far with them. I'd go with the Qualified.

The 2GB DIMMS do run hotter than the 1GBs. I'm guessing because of the increase in chips on each DIMM.

I'd be curious to see how much of a temperature improvement there is (if any) in the new Mac Pros with the top riser flipped. I'm guessing not much since the DIMMS themselves will probably run hotter at the faster speeds.

Anyone with 2GB DIMMS want to post their temps?

-Kevin