Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Lemme see if I can remember the timeline release of MPs:

2006 - Aug?
2008 - Feb
2009 - ????
2010 - Aug

So if the consensus is to keep the 2008 machine until the next iteration, do you think that comes at the end of 2011 or first quarter 2012??

If the refresh happens in the next 12 months, then it seems pretty obvious the specs will be those of "Sandy Bridge" although it's possible they could add some goodies like USB3, SATA3 and Light Peak.

Apple could however choose to forego Sandy Bridge, get an exclusive on some new 22nm chip in 2012 and then do some more radical things like redesign the enclosure and add even more tech goodies.

I know a lot of people would get their panties in a bunch if Apple waited 16-18 months to do a MP update and the forum would fill with threads about how apple is abandoning the "pros" and there'd be more "Waiting" threads than people in New York City but seriously every couple revisions, Apple does seem to hit a sweet spot and by many accounts the 2009 and 2010 MP revisions were lackluster so maybe the third is a charm.

Thoughts?

I suppose I'll just quote myself from another thread - saves time typing :p

Next generation might be 2012....

Cause, all the server grade Sandy Bridge processors don't get released till Q3/Q4 2011. And seeing that it took 5 months after the release of Westmeres to make an appearance in the 2010 Mac Pro... well, I imagine the same will occur with the next generation.

If i'm right though, you'll probably appreciate the wait since Sandy Bridge server processors are planned to come not only in 6 core flavours but in 8 ;)

I see a 16 core MP in the future! (anyone wanna guess what the price of that would be, heheh)

As for the 22nm CPU's... that'll begin with the die-shrink of the Sandy Bridge to be called Ivy Bridge. To be released approximately a year after Sandy Bridge - you probably won't see server grade stuff till late 2012/early 2013. :p That's assuming the world doesn't end of course.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Lemme see if I can remember the timeline release of MPs:

2006 - Aug?
2008 - Feb
2009 - ????
2010 - Aug

So if the consensus is to keep the 2008 machine until the next iteration, do you think that comes at the end of 2011 or first quarter 2012??

If the refresh happens in the next 12 months, then it seems pretty obvious the specs will be those of "Sandy Bridge" although it's possible they could add some goodies like USB3, SATA3 and Light Peak.

Apple could however choose to forego Sandy Bridge, get an exclusive on some new 22nm chip in 2012 and then do some more radical things like redesign the enclosure and add even more tech goodies.

I know a lot of people would get their panties in a bunch if Apple waited 16-18 months to do a MP update and the forum would fill with threads about how apple is abandoning the "pros" and there'd be more "Waiting" threads than people in New York City but seriously every couple revisions, Apple does seem to hit a sweet spot and by many accounts the 2009 and 2010 MP revisions were lackluster so maybe the third is a charm.

Thoughts?

Hopefully you've nailed it with that.

But apple is getting abit tight in the way it prices, but your right the pro has been ignored really, the two main improvements were moving from power pc to intel, then the nehalem processors with the new memory configuration. other than that there hasnt really been any innovation. But steve has said before he sees the death of the personal computer (aka desktop) for multimedia handheld portable devices but not quite yet.

Will apple be the first to drop the desktop format? leaving the more portable and revenue spinning iMac as the only "PC" it offers?????

probably not the iMac is too defined at pre-purchase so many pros will leave apple to hackintosh or even back to pc.

I generally feel the pro market is very peeved and the pc alternatives make more sense.

But lets be honest, anyone that is serious will buy a mac, and apple knows this so the price will continue to climb, until there arnt enough sales for it to be deemed worthy, and something else will replace it.

Apples ideology is to innovate, and the "PC" has come to the point where innovation is difficult, they are a manufacture of small handheld and multimedia goods. They seemed to have got bored with the "PC" idea.

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
I just sold my 08 Mac Pro just this week and buying a new Mac Pro in a few weeks, my Applecare runs out in Feburary 2011, so I'm glad that I sold it, I don't think your going to get $3,000 for your 08 Mac Pro, and you have to think about this too the longer you hold on to your 08 Mac Pro the less money you will receive, unless you got money already saved up then I'll wait. With me i've been saving sense the day I bought my 08 Mac Pro back in feburary of 08 setting aside $560 a month for 2 1/2 years now that I have plenty of money to buy a new MP and a couple of 27" inch LED's that's going to be one sick setup and i will still have money left over for my next Mac Pro in 2 1/2 years but the question you should ask yourself do you really need a new computer if your current MP can do the job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.