MP 2010: Which MacPro did you order and why?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by skiffx, Aug 14, 2010.

1. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Just wondering which MP you guys have ordered and why.
    Personally went with a 3.33 Hexa with 16GB of transintl ram, a 180gb ocz vertex 2 ssd, and a 5870 for gaming in win + gt 120 to drive 4 monitors & a tv.
    Dual processor setup would have been a waste for my needs, so I opted out for the best SP system to last me as long as possible. Now I gotta wait for 2 weeks until it ships.:D

2. microcolt macrumors regular

I'm thinking about ordering a 12 core one but I'm not sure, I really want to wait for them to change the body style. Not that it sucks but I know that Jon Ive's got something cooking in the oven for Q1 2011 maybe? :D

3. dockingbay94 macrumors regular

dockingbay94

6 core with 12GB of RAM for use with logic pro. Going to order an OWC SSD once the Mac Pro ships.

4. strausd macrumors 68030

Don't know what you're smoking, but the next MPs won't be out until way late 2011 at the earliest, probably not even til 2012 considering it took Apple so long to get 6-core CPUs in the MP.

I ordered a 12-core 2.93 GHz MP for 3D modeling, animation, rendering, and some video work.

5. keewe macrumors member

hexacore with 12 gb ram (still need a shop to buy in austria/germany) with GPU upgrade for maxwell, 3ds max and photoshop/illsutrator/AE/premiere. if i really have to render big jobs, i go with renderfarms anyway, so there was no need for a 12 core.

6. Vylen macrumors 65816

hexacore for XCode, Blender, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Lightroom... mainly for whenever I have to have open any combination of those... these days I need to have XCode, Blender and Photoshop open at the same time >_>

7. sboerup macrumors 6502

Hexacore, 5870 and 12gb. Mainly for Lightroom, Photoshop, other CS5 suite apps and some light gaming. Felt the hexacore would keep me happier in the long run and maybe upgrade in late 2012 depending on whats coming out.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I doubt Apple is spending resources on a cosmetic redesign. It's a pro machine, not subject to the changing whims of mass consumers. It's a functional box, easy to upgrade, and a classic industrial design. It's like a Jag XJ - incremental exterior changes over decades.

9. skiffx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeh you'd think after 500+ days of not refreshing, they were cooking something special as well...:D

10. cohen777 macrumors regular

I ordered a 2x2.4gz 8 core with the ati-5870 and 32 gb of RAM from Transintl. I do work with FCP, compressor, motion, and photoshop and I am replacing a first generation Mac Pro. I can't wait to mess around with Photoshop CS5's 3D tools which unusable with my current Mac Pro.

11. petitrouge macrumors newbie

3.2 quad. upgrade ram OWC and SSD for os/apps. i'm a web dev (CS5, but heavier on DW & FW than PS), very little vid work, and i don't game. unless you can tell me why my apps will benefit from the hexcore, ... i'm saving that $!! :confused:

eta: this is my first mac since college. i decided that 2010 was the year of the "switch" and the primary drive in my boxxtech tower pooped it the day after apple announced the 2010's. i took that as a sign from the computer gods. ;)

12. SeanDL macrumors newbie

Ordered the 2.4 octo-core with the 5870 and 8 gigs of RAM. I realize everyone is clamoring that the 6-core is a better system and will be faster, but the 8-core was the most I could afford when including the additional costs of after-market RAM.

For the record this is an upgrade from an old dual-core Dell machine, and a dual-core macbook pro. I would bounce between the two for various editing/after effects work, depending on which was best suited. The Mac Pro is looking to replace both at once, essentially. Hopefully no matter which one I have chosen there will be a noticeable increase in performance.

13. Deke S macrumors newbie

Ordered the 3.33 6-core, 5870, 8Gigs of RAM. After much, much research and deliberation I'm convinced the hex will better serve me. Photoshop professional (CS5) with some FCP and ProTools.

And BTW, my NAPP membership saved me $411 off the total! At $99 per year it pays for itself year after year in spades. A very sweet cherry on top of this long over due upgrade for me. My old G5 will get a nice retirement as a music/movie server.

14. reekster macrumors newbie

reekster

Mac Pro decision

6 Core 3.33
    I bought two 2TB Hard drives from New Egg that are twice as fast as the stock Mac HD.I'll replace he 1TB stock drive with one and use the other for recording audio to.

I'm leaning towards 3X4Gigs RAM to keep the triple memory thread.
    Also, External Blu-Ray writer. External so I can move it between machines for back-ups and still use it on the studio Mac to write surround audio mixes to playback on in various locations.

Hello Apple.... Blu-Ray ........

15. skiffx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeh Ive already ordered 16gb of ram, but am debating whether I should just let it have 12 and run it in triple channel.

16. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Plan to order 6-core with 12gb ram and SSD for Aperture, Photoshop, Xcode, Garage Band/Logic, and some gaming.

Ordering after the first round of benchmarks come out so I can be certain the 6 core is a better choice than the 8 core.

17. microcolt macrumors regular

Yeah, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did release something earlier. It's just the way apple's sporadic timing is.

18. Borbarad macrumors newbie

I ordered my first MacPro (or PowerMac..).

Config as following:
    * Two 2,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” (8 Core)
    * 8 GB (4 x 2 GB)
    * 1 TB 3 GBit/Sec. Serial-ATA with 7200 U/Min.
    * ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB
    * One 18x SuperDrive
    * Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad
    * Apple Keyboard
    * Apple Battery Charger
    * Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
    * AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro - Auto-enroll

Why....

Plus:
    Two cores give you the possibility to upgrade to a 12 Core 3.33 GHz if you ever need this. Two CPU enables two separate connections to IO, RAM, Controller etc . 1MB more Cache per CPU then the Single Config. The Bigger & Better GPU is must have anyway.

Minus:
    The 2*2.4 will be slower in "single task" operations then the 3.33 Hexa. However the Octo will have an advantage due to its two separate CPU connections.

In ca. 2 Weeks

B

19. Ryan P macrumors regular

I just ordered a Octa 2.4 with a 5870 from B&HPhotoVideo. I did this with the intention of buying into a platform I could do some serious upgrading to. I'm hoping to eventually replace the processors with high speed hex cores and have the RAM in the 24-48GB range. I'm going to buy the 27" Cinema for the Mac Pro when it is released.

I currently have a 15" 2.66 i7 MacBook Pro with a OWC 120GB SSD and 1TB HD plus several Gtech external HD units docked to a Cinema 24". I plan to run this along side the new Mac Pro using "Synergy" to share the keyboard/mouse.

I do a combination of programming, photography, and video work.