Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tex Tiles

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
I'd like to thank the people here who have kindly and patiently helped me get monterey installed, you are scholars. At this point I have it installed and running on my 3,1 with original Radeon graphics card. I have managed to get all my interfaces and control surfaces up and running for Protools and Logic and it's all good except...

it freezes and crashes after a period of time, usually 15-20 minutes. Sometimes if I was doing very little it would last a bit longer maybe an hour but crash it must. I could be running an application or not, eventually it freezes and crashes.

I am not a coder or programmer and I was wondering what might be a way of addressing this. I preserved my rock solid snow leopard drive for getting mixing done, but I would really like to make this work with the monterey if possible. I notice many here are running monterey stabley without crashing, so should I post the crash reports and ask for advice?

I have tested it without any of the pcie cards or external devices attached and it's the same. I'm not really in a position to buy a new computer because of all the cards and devices that are part of the system that won't work easily with a new computer (if at all).

Last edited:

friendofthai

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2023
I can suggest that most likely it is a Graphics Card problem. Because I saw a lot of strange behavior before updating my GFX. Monterrey works fine with MSI Radeon RX560 4GB(do not buy the 2GB version of this card or the RX550 models).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 13.45.00.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 13.45.00.png
    76 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Reactions: Tex Tiles

Tex Tiles

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
I can suggest that most likely it is a Graphics Card problem. Because I saw a lot of strange behavior before updating my GFX. Monterrey works fine with MSI Radeon RX560 4GB(do not buy the 2GB version of this card or the RX550 models).
Thanks for that, you may be correct. I am worried that if I update to a newer graphics card then I won't be able to still dual boot in snow leopard which I need for backward compatibility. I googled your card and what I saw was your graphics card was introduced in 2017 so there wouldn't be drivers in snow leopard (2009) for it I suspect. (?)

friendofthai

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2023
Thanks for that, you may be correct. I am worried that if I update to a newer graphics card then I won't be able to still dual boot in snow leopard which I need for backward compatibility. I googled your card and what I saw was your graphics card was introduced in 2017 so there wouldn't be drivers in snow leopard (2009) for it I suspect. (?)
I am using snow leopard also. It works without graphics acceleration via OCLP but you should know that SL is SOOO fast even without graphics acceleration - there is hardly any remarkable difference. Of course if you want to play games on SL you will see the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.