MP 4.1 configuration dual boot setup

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VanneDC, Jun 7, 2017.

1. VanneDC, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017

VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

So I just updated my MP 4.1 to 5.1 and now super happily running on 6 cores (X5690) and el capitan. (120gb ssd_bay 1)

I plan to dual boot windows 10 for when the need to use that arrives, but my main use for the box will be OS X.

I have another 60gb SSD and 2, 2 terrabite 7200rpm drives that I intend to use for storage.

My question is what would you use, and how would you set it up? Osx on the 120 GB SSD and windows on the 60gb SSD? And then just one of the 2 TB storage drives for each OS?

And do people still move the user folder to another drive as to save space on the SSD drive?

The other question I have is about ram, currently running 16gb of ecc 1033mhz , but I also have a nice kit of 24gb of 1333mhz non Ecc ram. Would that be worthwhile using instead? Not doing any super important work on this box.

I also have 2 gtx 680's (both flashed) , one current residing in the MP, the other I plan on using with windows only, using a TB card that connects to my TB pcie enclosure. Either that or sticking both gtx680 cards in the MP using an external/internal PSU.

Not worried about single card operation in OSX, but it would be nice to be able to utilize both cards in windows.

Anyways, how would you configure the drives?

Any input appreciated. :)

V.

2. h9826790, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017

h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

Easy, just install the 60GB SSD in any one of the native SATA port. Then install Windows onto it.

If the 2TB is just for data, and you want both OSX and Windows share use the same data. Then just install it into one of the HDD bay, and format it to ExFAT (single partition)

For unimportant stuff. 24GB non ECC RAM should be better option. You can even mix use all RAM sticks and go for something like 28GB RAM. (Assume your 24GB is 3x8GB, and 16GB is 4x4GB). But unless you really running out of RAM. There should be no big performance difference between 24G and 28G, got for 3x8G should be the more balanced option between speed, RAM size, real world performance, and risk.

3. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Windows 10 takes up about 12GB, although Microsoft budget it around 20GB. Your 60GB drive should be just fine.

A word of warning. I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my Mac Pro and the install process did not go well, I had previously upgraded from a Windows 7 install.

What I noticed is that Windows does not like being installed when others drives are present. The one trick I found was to start the Boot Camp process from macOS and as soon I heard the startup chime hit the power button and turned the system off. I then pulled all the drives, with the exception of the disk I intended to install Windows on, hit the power button and finished off the process.

I found that if I did not do this I could not get fast the 'format' step before the actual installation process begins.

You may of course already know this, but since I was here anyway I thought I'd share my experience.

4. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

I use boot camp assistance to install Windows 10. Work perfectly. The only time I can't format the target driver is when I use the Windows installation disc to boot and try to install Windows by myself, but not via bootcamp.

Don't know why. It only happened to me once. I never pull the drives out (I have 6 SATA drives in the cMP). And able to install Windows (7, 8, 10) almost every single time. Since I will install bootcamp apps / driver after Windows installation anyway. So, using bootcamp assistant is actually easier for me.

5. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

How odd!

Took me days to finally get it to work, every time I came to format the drive it just kept telling me that it couldn't be installed on that drive. Used diskpart to format etc etc but to no avail.

Still got there in the end. ;)

6. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I'm curious what you mean by a "TB card".

7. devon807 macrumors 6502

devon807

When Installing from the CD you must reformat the drive you are installing Windows on via DISKPART in the cmd prompt to GPT (or MBR) cant really remember, but it is one of those two.

8. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Aye, that's what I read too. However after countless attempts I started looking for a new solution and came upon pulling the drives so that only one remained.

Now OP, you've been gifted with a wealth of knowledge before you begin your install. Should be a walk in the park! :)

9. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

No, I definitely never did that, just format the disk inside the Windows installer. I really don't know why, but bootcamp seems working fine on my machine. It won't format the hand drive correctly, but at least allow me to format the hard drive inside the installer. However, if I boot from the disk directly, by not via bootcamp. I did encounter the "unable to format" issue.

10. devon807 macrumors 6502

devon807

A weird issue indeed. Did you need to edit the Bootcamp Assistant to get it to work with your 5,1?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2017 ---
    I am also curious as to how you got a TB card to work in your MP

11. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

No, it just work.

12. VanneDC thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

Not trying to use bootcamp to start the installation for windows, but do you have to use a DVD? All the media I've burnt to USB doesn't show up as bootable when you start with ALT held down???

So does it have to be a DVD? Can't be a USB stick?

13. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

I never successfully create a USB Windows installation drive for my cMP. So, it's a disc.

Bootcamp + DVD, the native way to install Windows on my cMP.

I think DVD / USB make the difference. Boot from a disc will default install Windows 10 in legacy mode. But boot from a USB drive will default install Windows in EFI mode.

May be that's why I never success to use USB drive installation. It seems my 7950's Mac EFI doesn't work well in EFI mode.