MP 5.1 freezes when trying to drag files

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dbf, Jun 8, 2019.

1. dbf macrumors newbie

dbf

My refurbed Mac Pro (mid-2010 5.1) is amazing ..... except for a huge problem I am experiencing where when I drag files from one folder to another, I get a freeze requiring a restart. I can drag a folder no problem...and I can drag audio files into Pro Tools no problem...but something is freaking out the computer when I try to drag multiple files at once. I have looked online for any tips, tried what I saw, but no luck. I'm running the latest version of Mojave. Anyone experienced this issue and find a solution? Thanks!

2. t8er8 macrumors regular

t8er8

Seems to almost certainly be a corrupt OS, I recommend you reinstall Mac OS and it will likely fix your issue.

Alternatively this might help,

From your Finder "Go" menu > "Go to folder" and enter
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist
    Press Return.
    Delete the plist file.
    Then, restart, or log out and in again

3. dbf thread starter macrumors newbie

dbf

Thanks, had already tried deleted that preference with no luck....will try a reinstall of OS next... it was a rather fresh install so I didn't think that could be an issue....

4. t8er8 macrumors regular

t8er8

Either way, could’ve had something wrong happen during installation which is where the corruption came from.

5. dbf thread starter macrumors newbie

dbf

Sadly, OS reinstall didn't help :-/ . I'm beginning to wonder if it can be graphics card.... or something to do with the system's reaction to the mouse ..... it's always something ....

6. Tesseract macrumors regular

Tesseract

7. orph macrumors 68000

orph

is the MacPro new to you? or have you been using it for a long time and it's a new problem?

may be bad drive/ram to

if you have a second drive worth trying a fresh instal on it and see if you hit the same problem.