MP 5.1 -> IOH Tdiode running hot @ 75C?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by m4v3r1ck, May 27, 2014.

1. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

I did a search string on "IOH Tdiode" but no luck. Just looking at my idle temps I'm not confident they're OK.

[​IMG]

Directions appreciated!

~ Cheers

2. mikeboss, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014

mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

3. shindom macrumors member

yup, the IOH Tdiode is the northbridge.
    For a dual proc your temp of 75C is ok.

When I replaced my proc board from apple, the reading I got for it at idle was 79C. According to the intel doc about the northbridge chip those temps are good. I think the max operational temp is about 123C

One quick way to decrease the temp of the northbridge (if you are ok with the added noise) is to augment the fan speed of the Exhaust and Intake fan .. blowing more air throughout the processor cage .. or you can also augment the Boosta/boostb for the same effect.

I use the mac fan control app with relatively good success for a good noise/cooling ratio.

4. Studio K macrumors 6502

Studio K

I see some things that look unusual.

CPUA and B are running at 50C and 44C respectively at idle. While not dangerously high, that seems higher than it should be. My CPUA idles at 42C in the summertime.

Your BOOST fans are running slower than what I've observed in Dual-CPU Mac Pros. Minimum speed for those should be approximately 1113 rpms each. These slower fanspeeds might explain the slightly higher CPU diode temps as well as the higher IOH diode temp.

My IOH diode is normally around 62C.

Are you using Fan control software to lower those BOOST fans? IF not, then try an SMC reset to see if the fanspeeds resume their normal rpms.

5. m4v3r1ck thread starter macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Thanks Micheal, wonder why they did not come up in my search on MR. These threads scared the ???? out of me :eek: because I'm not much of a handy man with screws... :eek:

----------

Spot on StudioK, had a chat with Apple Care and he suggested to first do a SMC reset. I think this looks much better now.

[​IMG]

When high temps persists I have to carry it in for a tech check. He mentioned that my 3rd party GPU (Evga) could make ambient temps around the Northbridge (?) higher. Checking my temps even closer the upcoming days.

~ Cheers

----------

Thanks for the heads up for fan controlling. Will look into it.

~ Cheers

6. TzunamiOSX macrumors regular

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Those temps look pretty much like mine while sitting here reading the forums:

ambient 31C
    CPU A 50C
    CPU B 40C
    Northbridge chip 72C
    Northbridge heatsink 63C

fans are all at idle speeds

MacPro 5.1 2012, 12-core @ 3.33GHz , 48GB RAM, GTX 680 4096 MB

What monitor program are you showing in your post?

-howard

8. m4v3r1ck thread starter macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

iStat Menus v 4.21 (454)

9. shindom macrumors member

nice ! I am quite jealous of the low 68C for the northbridge on a 2012 dual proc.

I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the mac pro is a 2012 .. as I have a 2009 updated with 2 X5660s (which supposedly run cooler than stock proc).
    My procA/procB temps respectively are at 39C/29C idle .. but my northbridge is at a static 78C .. :confused:

10. m4v3r1ck thread starter macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Mac Fan Control for Windows

Installed Mac Fan Control for Windows. Fan speeds are humming & IOH Tdiode looking good too, seems that the SMC reset solved my issue with the 'high' temps.

[​IMG]

- Cheers