MP audio out to Yamaha receiver help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bigbird, Jan 1, 2009.

1. bigbird macrumors 6502

I have an older Yamaha receiver (RX 596) that has no optical audio in, only traditional RCA inputs. I tried using a 3.5 mm mini audio to RCA adapter that would transfer my headphone output to the CD or AUX input on the receiver. Of course the audio was crap, lots of humming and low volume level.

I also have a Canopus ADVC 110 digitizer. Can I input digital audio from the MP to the ADVC 110 with an optical to RCA converter, and then output the analog audio from the ADVC 110 with RCA cables to the RCA inputs on the Yamaha? Suggestions please for the easiest/cheapest way to get quality audio out of my MP and cleanly into my receiver.

2. albarran9 macrumors member

hmmm interesting. i have a pair of computer speakers running off of the MP thought the back audio out jack and no problem. i also have an airport express running my receiver with a 3.5mm jack to stereo out and didn't have a problem with that. have you tied adjusting the master volume level on the mac? also try using the 3.5mm jack to stereo converter cable and test your receiver with an mp3 player. also make use you test other audio inputs on your receiver just to make sure its not the receiver its self.

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

That may work.

Personally I'd try a better audio lead first. A good quality lead shouldn't let in noise and hum.

If that doesn't work there are any number of cheap USB audio interfaces which are probably better quality than the built in audio. Try Edirol and M-audio's web sites.

4. bigbird thread starter macrumors 6502

I also have a set of powered computer speakers running off the back audio jack out. They sound fine, but using the same port as an input to the Yamaha with a 3.5mm jack to RCA sounds terrible. I already tried the other inputs on the Yamaha (except the phono, or course) and they all sound the same: terrible. An MP3 player to the Yamaha through the 3.5mm to RCA sounds fine.

5. albarran9 macrumors member

Have you tied running the receiver off the front headphone jack to try and troubleshoot the problem even further? also go to system preferences>sound>output and check that the balance for left and right channels are set right.

6. bigbird thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, tried all that. I think that the analog out from the headphone jacks on the MP, both front and rear, is so overwhelmed with RFI, that humming and distortion is inevitable. I think my only recourse is to take the audio from Optical Out or USB, run it through a D/A converter, and feed the analog into the Yamaha through any input except Phono.

7. albarran9 macrumors member

8. bigbird thread starter macrumors 6502

9. bigbird thread starter macrumors 6502

It works!

I bought an Airport Express, and with Airtunes it works perfectly.

10. JohnBuer macrumors newbie

I have the Airport Express too. It works just great. [​IMG]

11. albarran9 macrumors member

Glad to hear the airtunes worked out for you. :D